Max IV will not move. Please help....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Max IV will not move. Please help....

Well, I let it sit over night and I just checked it. There is a leak in the main gasket so it looks like I definitely will need to pull it and open it up anyway. Whenever I can get time to do it, I will let yall know what I find. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 2band View Post
    Does it sound like I may have dodged a bullet? What kind of damage could have potentially be done that might pop up in the near future by running it dry?
    The fluid doesn't just act to lubricate the internals of the transmission, it acts as a coolant to remove heat from parts that need to stay cool(er). While a T-20 can get wicked hot and still function, it's the combination of the heat with lack of lubrication that will cause damage right-quick.

You really, really need to rip the whole thing apart before you do anything else, regardless of whether the main case seal is leaking or not. We're all constantly surprised at how much abuse these transmissions will take, so maybe you're in luck and you can get away with replacing the minimum of parts.

Agreed. Its already sitting in the shop. Just have to find the time to do it.

Well, I have taken everything apart. I immediately discovered the cause of the leak in the main seals. Most of the bolts holding the two halves together were loose to extremely loose. My guess is vibration caused this. When I put it back together, I will definitely be using loc-tite. Once inside I was relieved to find most everything in good condition. I expected the drums and/or bands to have some significant damage from running it dry but everything appears to be in good condition. I did find what I believe to be the culprit for my problems though. I had a broken thrust washer on the right side. one piece was sort of stuck in the gears with another couple of small pieces just floating freely around in there. The fluid probably just freed everything up temporarily. Everything around where it was along with everything else appears to be in good shape so I am fairly certain that and the main seals are all of the parts I need. To be honest, I am actually glad the thing was leaking or I would probably have not taken it apart and found the broken washer.

After taking this thing apart and getting a good look at everything, I can't help but be impressed at how that thing withstood running it dry. I purchased it with about 88 on the hm and it is at around 100 now. For all I know, it has been dry for those 12 or so hours. And I have to admit, the work hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I will probably spend more time cleaning out the tub (while I have everything out) than working on the trans. Thanks again for all the help. I will give another update when I get everything put back together.

the same thing happened to me. what ever you do...don't re-use the same nuts and bolts. do yourself a favor and buy new locknuts and bolts. buy the lock nuts that have the nylon insert.

Spoke too soon. I was putting everything back together and noticed one of the three small planetary gears on the left side would not rotate smoothly or come off. After some prying and wiggling, I got it off and found that the needle bearings in the gear had burnt out. I will have to replace the bearing and sand the burnt metal from the bearing off of the shaft but I don't think it will be a problem. I ordered all of the parts I need for around $100 today. Hopefully that will be it. All things considered it could be a lot worse.

Good thing you caught that before putting it back together again.

I would press out the pin that is rough and turn it around. the bearing surface will probably be better.

Well, I got everything fixed and put back together. I didn't even have any "extra" parts laying around when I got done either. Everything is working well. I can really tell a difference with the new belt. Everything seems a little smoother with more torque. Thank yall again for the help.

+ Reply to Thread