Buried treasure- my father's old Attex (now in bad need of TLC!)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buried treasure- my father's old Attex (now in bad need of TLC!)

Buried treasure- my father's old Attex (now in bad need of TLC!)

Hello everyone! My name is Don, screen name's my ham radio call sign in case anyone was wondering. I found the site recently when looking around for some info on this old Attex that I inherited from my father. It's been sitting in a shed for at least ten years now and is in bad need of some TLC before it will be able to provide any of the joy I remember from my youth.

Here's a shot of it dug out from under all of the junk, but still pinned in by everything surrounding it (including the two 10KW ex-military generators behind it that weigh in at 850 pounds apiece!)

The cockpit is relatively clean for something that's been sitting for so long, even though I see some signs of field mice having inhabited it at some point (cleaned one small nest off the engine cover before opening it, but so far haven't found one inside).

One of the things that he did to this machine when he was playing with it was to separate the front/seat section of the engine cover from the rear so that he could flip it up without exiting the vehicle (he decided to do that after the engine died in the middle of a large mud pit and getting it for troubleshooting was a pain). He added reinforcement to both parts in the form of marine plywood and metal to stiffen them back up, though I have to wonder if it wasn't overkill.

The data that I was able to find on the site leads me to believe that this is a 1972 Wild Wolf- it has the metal gas tank and electric start, although I have no idea if the engine is a 295/297. I can't get to anything down in the engine compartment because of lack of space to move around in right now, but I'm hoping that it isn't locked up from sitting all this time. When I can get in there, I plan to pull the plug and put a few teaspoons of ATF or Marvel Mystery oil in and let it sit a while before trying to turn it over in an attempt to keep from breaking a ring.

Anyway, there it is- hopefully I'll be able to resurrect it with some assistance from the denziens of this group!

We'll be looking forward to a beautiful ressurection on this one.

Bridget & Whipper

Welcome to the site. Jpswift is a master at identifying these old machines, i would trust his insight to what it is. It looks like an easy little project. Many members, myself included, have taken on projects in much much much worse conditn than what you have there. I bet with a few hours of work she would move, as for restoring the body, get acytone and lots of it to clean that gem up back to the origional yellow shine.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks, Drew. I'm not as good as some members, but those guys have certainly taught me a good bit. Anyways, that Attex you have looks like it has lots of potential. It certainly looks to be a 1972, but it's most likely a ST/295, not a 295 Wild Wolf. The Wild Wolf has a 4 chain frame, the body curved down on the inside of the tub a little more than the ST style that was riveted flat against the lower tub. Also the 1971 & 1972 ST style Attexes didn't have the removable front nose piece between the headlights, that wasn't started until 1973.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Very cool.

Looks like an unusual tread pattern on those tires. Is it me or do the look like "W"s?

Good luck.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Very cool.

Looks like an unusual tread pattern on those tires. Is it me or do the look like "W"s?

Good luck.
    You're right, George. Those could be the old Ohtsu Honda ATC90 3 wheeler balloon tires, or maybe some kind of sand tire.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Thanks, Drew. I'm not as good as some members, but those guys have certainly taught me a good bit. Anyways, that Attex you have looks like it has lots of potential. It certainly looks to be a 1972, but it's most likely a ST/295, not a 295 Wild Wolf. The Wild Wolf has a 4 chain frame, the body curved down on the inside of the tub a little more than the ST style that was riveted flat against the lower tub. Also the 1971 & 1972 ST style Attexes didn't have the removable front nose piece between the headlights, that wasn't started until 1973.
    Thanks for the welcome and the info, guys! I was guessing at the model going from the ID sheet; the metal gas tank and the electric start were listed there as the 295 Wild Wolf or the 400 Chief for a twin. Anyway, I expect to be able to get a better ID once I can pull the floor pan out of it and get a few more pictures... I was already out of daylight when I took those pictures (used a spotlight to allow the camera to focus well enough for a flash photo today). And it definitely doesn't have a removable nose piece up front... it's solid all the way across.

George, the tires are different front to rear- the fronts are ribbed parallel to the rotation, the centers are the normal V/chevron pattern and the rears are that W pattern you mention. I don't know if any of them will actually hold air or not, though the front left does seem to be inflated somewhat.

Nice looking machine and glad you will get to resurrect a old family friend.

Note: I noticed on the exhaust pipe there was some remaining insulation wrap. Use caution with that material it is probably asbestos and that is bad juju. Do not let that stuff get to be airborn. (Use dust mask) Prior to removal take a squirt bottle with soapy water and saturate the material, then wrap pipe with a plastic bag so the material will fall into the bag, seal and dispose of it. The rest of the machine should be checked for the remaining loose material that may have fallen off through the years. Once machine can be moved to a open location use a soapy water solution and gently spray the machine down to keep dust down and then rinse the machine off and then you should be good to go. I know this sounds a little over the top but,.......asbestos is something you do not want to expose to you or your family.

Hope you have a great time rebuilding the machine and may your children have the same fond memories that you have had the opportunity to have.

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Nice looking machine and glad you will get to resurrect a old family friend.

Note: I noticed on the exhaust pipe there was some remaining insulation wrap. Use caution with that material it is probably asbestos and that is bad juju. Do not let that stuff get to be airborn. (Use dust mask) Prior to removal take a squirt bottle with soapy water and saturate the material, then wrap pipe with a plastic bag so the material will fall into the bag, seal and dispose of it. The rest of the machine should be checked for the remaining loose material that may have fallen off through the years. Once machine can be moved to a open location use a soapy water solution and gently spray the machine down to keep dust down and then rinse the machine off and then you should be good to go. I know this sounds a little over the top but,.......asbestos is something you do not want to expose to you or your family.

Hope you have a great time rebuilding the machine and may your children have the same fond memories that you have had the opportunity to have.

Lewis
    NO kiddin?...asbestos?! had no clue! glad to hear that since ill be tearing mine apart soon and ALL of my loin clothe is still wrapped around the header pipe! id have been out ther hacking N coughing and destroying that stuff. lol Glad i found this!

-WagZ-
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

This was a regularly used product back in the 70's, no better material for the job. Sometimes people have replaced it with other types of material but unless you test it you will not know....so why take a chance. If you get this material in your clothing it can be transferred to all cloths that are washed with it. I mean not to scare but to inform....you have to get a pretty good dose of the fibers but it can take up to 15-40 years to show up. Mesotheloma is what killed Steve Mcqueen, but this takes mega doses over years to bring on this terrible effect. My thoughts are why take any chances with this. This is one of the classes that i give for our maintenance and electrical groups.

I have put out a couple outer threads on this subject, you may want to take a look at them also. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread