Question for mudd-Ox owners

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for mudd-Ox owners

Question for mudd-Ox owners

Hello, I am new to the forum and amphibians. I have a polaris 4x4 and we spent last weekend up by Denali Park moose hunting. We got a moose down a ways off the trail and it would have been a lot of slogging getting it out. Then a friend came by with an Argo and to my amazement he drove straight to the moose over large alders through a small river and across a beaver pond. Needless to say I am hooked. My friend thinks Argos are great but he thinks the ultimate is the diesel mudd-ox. So to my question, with the hydraulic drive I assume the engine runs a hydraulic pump and then it gets hazy. Is there a single hydraulic motor on each side with the wheels connected with chains or is there a hydraulic motor on each wheel. If there are multiple hydraulic motors do they run in series or in parallel. Next is a driving question, I read on a kubota diesel hydraulic that it runs great as long as you are on the throttle but you have to be careful slowing as the hydraulics do not coast like a car or mechanical transmission does. The hydraulics if not being driven instantly begin breaking and can put you through the windshield if not careful when starting to slow or even run at a constant speed. Thank you for your help.Jeff

Hi aaosparker, welcome to the site. Chains do tie the axles together. I believe there was some talk a while back about moving to individual motors at each wheel so you would have to contact Mudd-Ox or a Mudd-Ox dealer to find out if that has been adapted. If so, I would guess that it would be plumbed in series to eliminate a huge manifold and lots of additional plumbing.

As for the comment on the kubota diesel hydraulic (mower I'm assuming?) not coasting, that is correct. Most hydraulically driven vehicles act the same way. You control the slowing yourself with stick input. If you want to slow down, begin letting the sticks return to their neutral position. It really isn't something that is hard to get used to or something that will put you through the windshield because it is fairly natural to control.

aaosparker

In the front of a Mudd-Ox , two wheel motors are positioned on either side , and inside of the tub. The two wheel motors and pump are underneath the drivers seat. The two wheel motors drive double 60 chain.

Thank you. The kubota I referred was the 4 wheel drive two seat utility vehicle.Would you happen to know if the hydraulic motor hooks to the chain or to an axle, I am wondering if you could limp home if the chain broke, unlikely with the size chain. Do you have to lube the chain regularly or once a season. I read on an argo site where a daily commercial user said he spent over an hour a day on chain mantainence and idler adjustment., he thought having a hydraulic motor on each wheel would obviate this. maybe I am worrying over nothing as my friend with the argo just tunes his up once a year before hunting season and has done well with few breakdowns.

+ Reply to Thread