"Floating" sprockets????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Floating" sprockets????

"Floating" sprockets????

I started working on my 87 Argo. Should the front wheel sprockets "float" on the spline (The left side was floating, the right was locked down)?

Yes...they should both be floating...i understand that is so they dont seize to the axle as that is a difficult spot to work on.

Btw... the two inner idler shaft bearings are also left unlocked so that when the frame twists and flexes it does not side load the bearings and prematurely wear them out

Best of luck

i just replaced the inner idler shaft bearings and i tightened the bearing set screws is this wrong? i know the idler shaft is supposed to slide throught the bearing to remove the shaft butwhile its all together are those bearing set screws supposed to be loose? thanks.

Outside bearings locked down...inside loose. As the frame flexes the distance changes slightly and side loads the bearings if they are both locked down.

Thats my understanding

that stinks, and i thought i was done with all that. hopefully i can get in there and loosen those set screws without much disassembly. oh well live and learn. thanks for the heads up, don't need anymore bearing damage or sprocket damage, there was more than enough done from neglect when i got the machine.

Obsessed, good tip thanks.
    "inside loose. As the frame flexes the distance changes slightly and side loads the bearings if they are both locked down"

Just to clarify.... when you guys say outside you mean the wheels or in where you sit?

buddee, when referring to inside or outside they are referring to the outer bearing or the inner bearing. outer bearing being the one on the outside edge of the frame/tub...closest to the tire, and the inner bearing refers to those closest to the center of the tub. same would apply to the idler shaft which is where this thread went to. on the idler the outer bearing set screws are locked and the inner bearing set screws are not, these are the ones directly under the tranny. hope this helps. obssessed, in terms of frame twist would the same loading factors apply to the inner and outer axle bearings? and given the fact that the inner bearings are fixed by the bolt and thrust washers, should the set screws on the outer bearings be loose? when i reassembled the front axles on my bigfoot i left the set screws loose on the outer bearings anyway due to inaccessabilty once installed due to the bearing extension. i set them though on the middle and rear axles though because i could get at them. although the axles are fairly tight in the inner and outer bearings as opposed to the inner bearing and the idler shaft, maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill here. thanks trevor

i read through the argo service manual for the bigfoot that i down loaded and it tells you to apply loctite onto the idler shaft inner bearing set screws and torque to the specifications. not here to argue with anyone at all but just want to make sure i rebuilt my machine correctly to avoid any more damage. i'm open to more opinions on the issue as i'm a novice mechanic and the side loading arguement makes sense for bearing preservation. the other thing that concerns me now is the actual sprockets on the idler shaft that float. someone mentioned this not to long ago and i want to verify because i'm a little confused from the service manual... does the set screw hole side of the sprocket go towards the inner bearing or towards the outer bearing? apparently if the sprocket is reversed it will eventually damage the brake disc sprocket, wearing it prematurely. i know on my machine the rake disc didn't want to budge when i trie to remove it so would hate to mess this up. i'll look for the thread about this.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    i read through the argo service manual for the bigfoot that i down loaded and it tells you to apply loctite onto the idler shaft inner bearing set screws and torque to the specifications. not here to argue with anyone at all but just want to make sure i rebuilt my machine correctly to avoid any more damage. i'm open to more opinions on the issue as i'm a novice mechanic and the side loading arguement makes sense for bearing preservation. the other thing that concerns me now is the actual sprockets on the idler shaft that float. someone mentioned this not to long ago and i want to verify because i'm a little confused from the service manual... does the set screw hole side of the sprocket go towards the inner bearing or towards the outer bearing? apparently if the sprocket is reversed it will eventually damage the brake disc sprocket, wearing it prematurely. i know on my machine the rake disc didn't want to budge when i trie to remove it so would hate to mess this up. i'll look for the thread about this.

If your Idler Shaft Sprocket is backwards, you will damage your Brake Rotor Sprocket, Kinda Like this:

As for the Setscrews, now that you have locktighted the ones on the inner Bearing on the Idlershaft, I wouldn't worry about it.

I used to be a fan of NOT locking the Setscrews down on the bearings, but have had it explained to me by a couple Bearing and Vibration EXPERTS, that I am causing the bearings to fail prematurely.......
    However, I don't lock everything down. The front axle Sprockets float, the Inner Idler shaft bearing Floats, and the Idler Shaft Sprocket as well. I also don't use Locktight, just clean and tighten

RD

+ Reply to Thread