"Floating" sprockets????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Floating" sprockets????

hey rockcoc, i've been reading through the service manual and it seems i have the idler sprockets on correctly, set screw hole inwards and floating. i didn't use loctite on anything due to the trouble i had trying to disassemble the whole drive train. i replaced 3 good sprockets due to the fact i had to cut the set screws out to free the sprocket from the axle. i did the same as you i just cleaned parts applied some never seize and reassembled. i did tighten the set screws on the inner idler shaft bearings as the old ones were also tightened. the only ones not tightened were the outer bearing on the front axles. i didn't know the exact placement of the bearing to the axle so i just slipped everythiing on and inserted into frame and tightened what was exposed and accessable. i tried to prep for ease of dissasembly in the future. i think i got it all correct, my machine is so much quieter now and i've learned alot. your video was very helpful! the only thing i want to run by you is this.... i just found in the service manual, that they say pack the outer bearing flange with grease once on the axle and then put bearing on and so forth to finish assembly. i didn't pack the bearing flange with grease i just assemled and greased the flange when done. not really sure how much grease to inject so i pumped and rolled the axle until i got the start of grease oozing out of the inner flange and bearing joint. will this suffice...the bearing flange full of grease at this point? i also pumped grease into the other zerk on the out bearing flange until i got grease starting to ooze out from the seals and i also rolled the axle while doing this, when do you stop and have enough grease? do people pack the bearing with grease before assemly? i didn't and now i am realying on that little hole on the bearing to get grease to the internal parts of the bearing. my fear is that my machine had two bearings completely destroyed and nothing left but the inner bearing collar on the axle. i assume it was caused by neglect and improper greasing or none at all...trying to avoid this myself.160 hrs and two blown bearings and very little damage to most components, very robust machines i will say. anyway... where's that brake service video rock doctor? thanks for the answer trevor

I think you did fine, I don't pack the outer flange either, just pump grease in after assembly. Personally I don't think much grease will ever get in that little hole, but also don't think it has to, it's already greased and sealed.
    I've seen bearings fail in under 50hrs, and also seen them last for over 500hrs. I feel that contamination plays a huge roll in this, and that the extra grease pumped into the Bearing cavity and seals is more to prevent contamination than to lube the bearing.

I have some major work to do to my Conquest, so a Brake Service vid will be coming in the near future.

RD

+ Reply to Thread