help me (JLO Engine)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help me (JLO Engine)

help me (JLO Engine)

having problems getting my jlo to fire. coils tested good, new condensers and points. i have good ground at coils, also have good signal thru black wire to coils, but i cannot get spark out of wires. what should i do?
    Last edited by Mike; 10-05-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: moved thread to the correct forum and named it something a little more descriptive

unplug the wiring harness, and repeat spark test using either the pull start, or by jumping the solenoid. this will let you know if the issue is on the engine side, or machine side. report back with your findings
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    having problems getting my jlo to fire. coils tested good, new condensers and points. i have good ground at coils, also have good signal thru black wire to coils, but i cannot get spark out of wires. what should i do?
    Brandon,

I'm in the same boat as you with a JLO and no spark. Just wondering how you tested your coils are good? Did you test the external coils, the coils on the stator, or both?

Thanks
    "Obsolete doesn’t mean a thing isn’t any good - it just means they don’t make it any more.”
    - Von Dutch

all ive tested is the external coils i tested the coils the same way you would test a regular lawn mower coil across the towers, not sure that it si the right way, but i have heard from word of mouth that this is the way to test the coils, also not sure how to test the internal coils. could they mabye be the problem as well?

I am haveing the same issue with jlo 440 ,good spark on one coil no spark on the other.. swapped coils same thing, and power to both coils, both wires and plugs good.. Scratching me head so I took it to the shop at noon today, should know something by friday.. I ahve not heard this machine run but it has 180lbs compression it should friggin scream

so i tried unpluging the harness, got the same result still wandering whats going on, at what compression is considered low on the engine? My engine has 125, im thinking of tearing the heads down and trying to time it myself, when i changed the points and condenser i simply made a mark on the casting and put it back in the same place when i went back in with the stator plate.

125 psi is good. Thats about 9:1 It should run fine with that.

There is a complex timing proceedure for these that needs to be followed.
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 10-06-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: timing

Here's an old thread with the info; http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...html#post67610

The info missing is how to hookup the dial indicator (through the spark plug hole) to measure the position of the piston (TDC).

In short, instead of just relying on feeler gauges to fine tune the point gap, you are looking at the points electrically to see exactly where the piston is when the spark will occur.

This is not a fun task to tackle. Had to do the same on my 440.

i am having the same issues with a jlo rockwell 440 fan i put a new piston on the mag side and new points and condensers have all kinds of spark but engine wont run has to be out of time its drivin me crazy

+ Reply to Thread