ST300D Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ST300D Question

ST300D Question

I just picked up my first 6x6 a few weeks ago, and this board has been a wealth of information for the rebuild. I stripped the machine down to parts. All new bearings and wheels came in today, and I ordered 1144 to make new axles. My question is; the engine is a Briggs 19-FB. Is this original? and does an 8hp have enough ump for trail riding? The trans is the 7000 unit. The motor runs ok, but the carb needs a rebuild or replacement. It leaks fuel and the air cleaner is missing. So, before I invest time searching for parts I just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks in advance to all.

The Attex 208TT came with an 8HP Briggs from the factory. The ST/300D and the 297 model both came with 297cc JLO single two stroke engines. I'd personally stick with a Briggs 4 stroke for trail riding reliability. It won't be a speed machine, but it'll work well. These first generation Attexes are so light weight, that an 8hp will be sufficient power, but you could always upgrade to a 10 or 12hp single Briggs and still keep the stock look. That's what I was going to do, but I didn't end up buying the 208/TT that I had my eye on.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I had a st300 with the 7000 and Tecumseh HM80 8hp on it and it had plenty of power for tooling along with. I only had the balloons on it so I cant say with an aggressive tire for sure but it would run out of traction before power. I also have a 208tt with a 16hp china copy and it had lots of power and would climb anything the rawhide terra tires would let it. Speed is still around 20mph with it. Its in the gearing.

Is that Briggs 19-FB a old big ole cast iron engine? If it is it probably has a lot of torque compared to a modern 8hp.

Thanks jpswift and Larry for the replies. The engine is the cast iron original in very clean condition, so I will keep it and fix the carb. After maybe 40 years of use it is hard to tell what is original and what was fabricated. The axles on the machine were welded to the rims (five hours to take off 6 axles, AHHH!). I was tempted to use the sawzall. Now it won't be long before the tub is painted and I can start getting it back together.

+ Reply to Thread