Please help troubleshoot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help troubleshoot

Question Please help troubleshoot

Please bear with me, as I know nothing about mechanic work, but I'm trying to help my husband get our 208tt running. When we bought it we were assured that it ran, and it was conveniently out of gas when my husband looked at it, but the price was right so he bought it anyway. With that said:

He got it home and put gas in it, and it will start, but only for a second and stall out. He sprayed starter fluid, in the starter (i am assuming) and it will stay running a little longer but stall out after a min or so. He flushed out the gas line and still not working.

Is there something he could try or what should he try first to get it to stay started. I'm hoping the guy didnt flat out lie to us about assuring us it ran, and I'm hoping it is just an easy fix that maybe he is over looking.

Also I have a brother that is a mechanic on cars, would the engine and stuff be similar or would i be wasting my time by asking for his help? I'm assuming they must be pretty similar.

Hey 208,....

One way or another, we'll get you fixed up.

First off, is the engine in the 208tt the original engine? It will be a Briggs and Stratton 8hp single cylinder engine with the gas tank attached to the engine. If so, this should be an easy fix. Chances are, the carburetor will need some cleaning, and perhaps the original steel fuel tank will have a little bit of rust or sediment that's built up over the years. It almost sounds like your engine has enough fuel to start, but runs out quickly. This could be from a clogged fuel shut off valve, clogged fuel line, or substantial gunk in the float bowl of the carburetor (I think that Briggs still used a float style carb..... I haven't laid my hands on a 208 in nearly 23 years... ) If your husband has already cleaned out the fuel line (between the tank and the carburetor if it's the original engine) check the fuel shut off valve on the bottom of the tank, and maybe take the plunge into the carburetor and see what's what. They're pretty simple to take apart and put back together; I'm sure you can handle it as a team.....

As long as it starts up and does something, you're in good shape. I love the 208. It was my first machine as a child, and wish I still had one.

Take a look at the above potential issues, and see if it solves your problem. These are mechanically simple machines, and your brother would likely be able to help out as well. Much simpler than automotive stuff as a whole, but the gremlins we fight can be just as frustrating.

Good luck; keep us posted!

~m

As Mike said, IF it's the original engine.......

Remove the main Jet adjuster (1/2" wrench on the bottom carburator. It looks like a bolt with a smaller bolt screwed into it... the smaller bolt having a spring wound around it. Goes into the bottom of the carb at about a 45* angle). Once that's out, stick a medium sized flat head screwdriver in the hole and remove the actual Jet (it is brass so be careful with the screwdriver). clean the inside of the Jet with carb cleaner, or soak it in acetone overnight. Also spray carb cleaner into the hole where the Jet was removed. Once it's clean, reinstall all the parts. the smaller bolt in the jet adjuster (actually a screw) is the main fuel adjustment on that engine. use a screwdriver to run it in (GENTLY) till it stops. then back it out one and a half turns. also of note, once the adjuster is removed, Fuel should run out of the hole. If it doesn't, something is clogged... refer to H-Mikes post. If fuel does run out, let it run for a minute or two before stopping it with either the fuel shutoff, or a pair of vice grips on the fuel line to pinch it closed. your problem might be as simple as old gas in the carb.
    If this doesn't get you going, let us know and we will try other things Where are you located? chances are there is a friendly 6x6world member near by who would be glad to lend a hand
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You guys are awesome, but.... After you mentioned if it was the original engine, my husband told me that the other guy, swapped it out with a snow mobile engine but forgot what kind was put in... My guess is an arctic cat spirit 2000 series, because that is what it says on the engine My husband says its faster, but either way.

Right now he has the carberator all apart and soaking in gas with the hopes that when he puts it back together it will work. Not sure if I can post pics on here or not as I'm still learning about this forum, but I will try to get some pics of the motor... Looks like one big mess to me, but I'm hopeful to get it all figured out.

Anyone know where I can download a manual for an artic cat or something similar? There was a part on the carberator that he wasn't sure if he would remember how to get it back together correctly. It was like a long pin. Kind of reminds me of the pin you would use to blow up a basket ball.. Sorry I'm not very technical.
    Krista
    Last edited by 208tt; 10-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Since you're not running the Briggs engine, it pretty much changes the whole approach to your problem. Taking the carburetor apart and cleaning it is still a necessity, but the two stroke engine you're currently running may suffer from a couple different problems. The engine is likely fed by a diaphragm fuel pump that works off the engine vacuum. The pumps can fail, elimininating the fuel supply to the engine. It may not be your problem, but I'd definitely put it on the list of things to check. It'll be located between the fuel tank and the engine, and has a third hose that attaches to the engine crankcase, supplying a vacuum source to power the pump.

Two stroke engines can be fickle. The engine may also have bad seals, which effects a myriad of things including compression, fuel delivery, air/fuel ratio, etc. A lot of this is speculation at this point, but we'll keep trying to diagnose things.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Since you're not running the Briggs engine, it pretty much changes the whole approach to your problem. Taking the carburetor apart and cleaning it is still a necessity, but the two stroke engine you're currently running may suffer from a couple different problems. The engine is likely fed by a diaphragm fuel pump that works off the engine vacuum. The pumps can fail, elimininating the fuel supply to the engine. It may not be your problem, but I'd definitely put it on the list of things to check. It'll be located between the fuel tank and the engine, and has a third hose that attaches to the engine crankcase, supplying a vacuum source to power the pump.

Two stroke engines can be fickle. The engine may also have bad seals, which effects a myriad of things including compression, fuel delivery, air/fuel ratio, etc. A lot of this is speculation at this point, but we'll keep trying to diagnose things.
    YAY, we did find a repair manual online for the arctic cat spirit and after saoking the carb in gas over night and putting it back together (with the help of the pics in the manual) He was able to get it running. But...... after taking the kids for a ride, one of the chains broke but atleast we know it runs and drives ... I am going to try to post some pics now, we still have a long way to go, it looks horrible but one step at a time i guess... Thanks for all the help.

I tried to add some pics of the engine area but they wouldn't upload for some reason

Attached Images

That looks like a nice easy little project. A little acetone on that body will go a long way. Glad to see her running. Dont sweat a chain break, there is a lot more that could have gone bad, but didnt. I would replace all the chains and the bearings to avoid additional issues.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread