tire thoughts

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tire thoughts

tire thoughts

ok in my world of wonders here i was thinking .about tires and loss of air.anyone know why we don't use tubes with our tire must be a reason but i can't think of it we have off road low psi tires at work and they all have tubes by low i mean 15 pounds. for a tire like the size of a grader tire.But i am sure someone can tell me.Ok next thought they do a foam fill on these tire but it is 336.00 per tire with an 3.3 pound weight increase so shot that idea in the butt. but what about the foam that you buy at lowes or where ever. anyone got an old tire and rim wanna try. just thinking out load here.ideas welcome

As far as the tube idea goes, the low (2-5 psi *ish*) pressure we run in our tires at would cause the tubes to spin in the tires, and (almost always) shear the valve stems off. You could inflate the tubes to hold against the tire, but that defeats the idea of low psi. Foam isn't a bad idea, but remember that the foam would have to have quite a bit of give to it (like air) and be able to rebound to it's original shape. The foam would take a lot of abuse in the bouncing around and conforming to obstacles during rides, and would most likely deteriorate pretty quickly. Perhaps there are other foams out there that have the resiliency that we need.....

yeah there are but they cost so damn much.like i said 336 .per tire. so the tube will spin on rim and shear stem .sounds like an experiment to me bought four tubes today am going to do one side of conquest running tracks and leave other side alone and see what happens

No tubes for me. iI clean the rims. Put the tire on. put some silicone on the rim where the tire seats. Inflate the tire till it seats, and then let it sit over nite. I then pull the valve stem and put in 16 oz of slime or equivilent, pump up to desired preassure and install. Haven't had a flat in at least two years. However that being said I have traveled with others that have had flats. They have had a stick or something sharp punch a hole in the side wall or face. Two of them were new carlile argo 22X10X8. Nobody is imune to flats

anyone ever try a pnumatic bead lock? You could theoreticaly run less that 1/2 a psi? They HAVE to be out there for atv tires and rims. If not, i have heard of folks using street bike tubes....

if you dont know what im talking about, just look at the picture

Staun Internal Dual Bead Lock FAQs and answers.

BeadLockCutAway.gif

Look at this thread it is what I use. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...ked-tyres.htmlIt is so good that I can wear a tyre totally out even when a section between the cracks falls out and you can push your finger in and feel the latex rubber that has formed like an inner tube. I'm only running about 2 lbs. pressure. When the tyre is removed from the rim you peel out the latex inner and mount new tyre. On some I've painted latex on the beads to seal them. Pump up and leave overnight. Works for Me.

"but what about the foam that you buy at lowes or where ever."

That stuff won't set-up/dry/cure/solidify,whatever you like to refer to it as, it will remain liquid inside the closed up tire.

Joe.

ok after thought last night the foam from lowes will not work .latex is a great idea .my promblem is my machine sat after being in salt water rims were shot .the company beat the heck out of tire so the beads of the tire is bad also new rims. some hold air some dont they had slime in them so that was no biggie.I will have to furter study foam idea.

I swear by that tire goop (called slime at CDN Tire) and lots of it, it gets pricey too but it seems to work for me anyway

Use Sikaflex on the bead. It fills a lot of gaps. (Black is best . Can't see it well and sticks it to the rim.) You will have to let it set overnight. Then put latex mix in. And go and have FUN. The foam you are talking about from Lowes can't handle the constant flexing it will be under in the tyre and will break down. The foam they use in construction type tyres is too solid for our use as it doesn't flex and give enough. Like running high pressure. Unless there is a foam out there that I haven't found.I have found that Slime goes dry in the tyres in the long run unless you keep adding more.

+ Reply to Thread