clunking noise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: clunking noise

clunking noise

My attex gives a clunking noise when i turn it , all the mounts are tight and the chains are new and adjusted but it is a pretty loud clunk. will the t20 do this if it is out of adjustment?

attex

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    My attex gives a clunking noise when i turn it , all the mounts are tight and the chains are new and adjusted but it is a pretty loud clunk. will the t20 do this if it is out of adjustment?
    I dont know for sure but i would say there is too much slop in on of the chains or there is slop in the bolt that fasten the sproket tubes to the axles.

Also not sure on T-20 but I would check the axle bearings, maybe?

Cool

Sounds like axle bearings...Jack it up ....

I had the same trouble a few days ago.
    I had a Solo 750 for sale with a T20 transmission and everytime you want to turn then you heard a bad sound and the steeringlever moves a little bit. but it turns !
    I liftes the vehicle from the ground with a forklift and started the engine - please children dont try this at home !!!! . Everything worked, also the driving and braking one side, but on the ground with resistance against the tires it makes the noise.
    So if you have the same problem (the noise only apears only if the vehicle is turning on the ground) then it is only the adjustment of the main chains or the transmission. On a forklift you could see how much the transmission "worked", and so i think the chain slides nearly over the sprocket in the moment of the noise. I readjusted it and it was gone, but sadly a few days later i had the same problem again so i have to adjust it again. But this is more difficult at a Solo then at a Attex i think.
    So check the chainadjustment and maybe also the transmissionmount if the transmission is absolutely fixed at the frame. And the trans must be in the right angle of cause.
    If the noise also apears on the forklift, or if the vehicle did not turn, then there is something realy damaged.
    Hope this helps.

ok i think i found the culpret. The axle shafts are held in by two little set screws on a collar that are part of the bearings and it seems that the axle were able to slide in and out a bit. I took all the wheels of and slid the axles all the way in and made sure the chains were lined up and then i tightned the set screws. are these little set screws the only thing that hold the axles in place besides the sprocket tube? There seems to be enough room on the shaft after it goes through the inboard bearing to put another collar on it should i do that for added security? . I am almost tempted to tack it in place anyone done this?

You need to rotate those collars onto the bearing to lock it into place before tightening the screws. You may want to check and see if the bearing is broken where the collar rides and locks.

these collars are only held in place by set screws they dont seem to be the cam lock ones like a max has
    Attached Images

Are the collars separate or are they part of the bearing?

It looks like someone may have installed the wrong bearings in your machine, Pepper. The correct part would have a cam-lock eccentric collar.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread