clunking noise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: clunking noise

Got to look @ the pictures. That's the wrong bearing. The right bearing would only have 1 set screw & a detent to lock the eccentric collar.

Whipper

those are the bearings on the machine when i got it . every single bearing is that type both inners and outers the axles ae 1inch solids.

That's the correct bearing for the inner set, Pepper. The outers have a removeable collar that is an eccentric cut and turns slightly to lock onto the extended inner bearing race. The Fafnir number is GR100RRB+col.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I was wrong by saying they were the wrong bearings. There are better bearings to use. The clunking noise you hear might be the chains getting out of alignment, because your axles aren't holding their position & shifting back & forth. (Just guessing) You could just have a couple bad sprockets that have lost their form. Half the bearings that were on my Super Chief were just like yours with the 2 set screws. I've seen other people's cars w/ the same bearings. Attex may have used them @ sometime, but not really sure. If you go to a local bearing house ask for this bearing. It's a FAFNIR RA100RRB+ col .Ask for the eccentric cam loc bearing. There's an even better bearing w/ an extended inner race. Those w/ the extended inner race will work better going thru the body. From what I see in the picture , they look pretty rusty & coroded. You probably should change all your bearings & inspect all the sprockets for any damage if they were running out of alignment. Hope this helps.

Whipper
    Last edited by whipper-ag; 02-22-2008 at 11:23 PM.

I noticed Don just posted a GR100RRB + col & I posted a RA100RRB + col. Both bearings are correct. I think the # Don posted is for the bearing w/the extended inner race.

Whipper

+ Reply to Thread