Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

So, can any of you Adair Track owners tell me what are the coldest temps that you have run your machine in, with the tracks on? We were at -41 deg here the other day and it got me thinking............
    Plastic gets brittle in the cold, but how cold is too cold?

Now, I have no intensions of riding in 40 below, BUT, sometimes those decisions are not up to me.

Anyway, I have my new Adair Tracks mostly assembled, and weather forecast is calling for temps in the -10 to -15 degC this weekend. Hope to make it out for a ride.

RD

RD, I wouldn't even want to walk outside in that kind of weather, that's just to cold for me.

If the wind isn't blowing, that's just GOOD air :-) Rock doctor send some of that this way. We need some ICE !!

Sounds like global warming going on there. Good point RD, hope you don't have to do much in that kind of weather. Fingers don't work good! Just curious what weight oil do you run in your machines in the winter if you must endure those temps?

Ha, I'll send it you way anytime :-)

I managed to get the tracks completed and mounted on the machine. Took it for a little spin around the yard. Everything seemd OK, but it was too cold to play too much. Holy Cow these tracks will slide sideways on hard pack snow. Tried climbing the hill behind my house, made that no problem.

Made a vid of the assembly and install. It's uploading right now, will post in the morning.

Lewis, I run Synthetic oil, and I try NOT to be out in those temps if possible. If I have to be out, I warm the machines up with a heater, generator, and tarp before even attempting to start them. I had to do that last yr on one of our Ice Fishing trips. It turned way colder than was forcasted.

RD

Spent some time running around in -20C (-4F), everything looks fine so far.

RD

I cant imagine that those Adair tracks wont take extreme cold,I have had my old Argo plastic tracks in -30 F at the cabin many times and had no issue,and those Adair tracks look like they are much more sturdy,and really looking for your opinion on the track tuners I think that they are a must buy for me in the future.N.C.T

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    I cant imagine that those Adair tracks wont take extreme cold,I have had my old Argo plastic tracks in -30 F at the cabin many times and had no issue,and those Adair tracks look like they are much more sturdy,and really looking for your opinion on the track tuners I think that they are a must buy for me in the future.N.C.T
    I suspect you are right. I've also had the Argo out in those cold temps, but was thinking.......(Maybe that's a bad thing)

The way the tracks fit together.......the plastic spacers have little fingers that fit into chanels machined into the Grousers. They are a nice snug fit, and in my mind I saw them flexing a bit as the track rolls around the front and rear tires. Not much but some. I was thinking this constant flexing might cause a problem, but after spending some time riding around now, and observing the tracks, I no longer believe this is an issue. I have a lot of confidence in UHMW Plastic, it covers the bottom of my Jetboat and I can tell ya, It's hit a hell of a lot more rocks, at higher speeds than my Argo ever will

RD

will be interesting to see how they hold up in the cold rock doctor.theres a big difference in cold northern BC compared to cold southern ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I suspect you are right. I've also had the Argo out in those cold temps, but was thinking.......(Maybe that's a bad thing)

The way the tracks fit together.......the plastic spacers have little fingers that fit into chanels machined into the Grousers. They are a nice snug fit, and in my mind I saw them flexing a bit as the track rolls around the front and rear tires. Not much but some. I was thinking this constant flexing might cause a problem, but after spending some time riding around now, and observing the tracks, I no longer believe this is an issue. I have a lot of confidence in UHMW Plastic, it covers the bottom of my Jetboat and I can tell ya, It's hit a hell of a lot more rocks, at higher speeds than my Argo ever will

RD
    MMMM yes see what ya mean watched your vid a number of times,quite the assembly line you had going there,good thing help showed up just as you decided the instructions were not required LOL.I gotta think that Adair factored in the deep cold but I will be watching your progress very carefully,as I only use tracks for winter use in northern Ontario and this will be my first year with the rubber version.N.C.T

+ Reply to Thread