Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

Sounds like I have a set of Track Tuners on the way, can't wait to try them out.

Also have a few different types of "Traction Enhancers" on the way as well. Picks, Studs, and Cleats that I can do some testing on. I don't nesessarily want a whole bunch of traction on Ice and Hardpack, but I need SOME. Too much traction will make it a bugger to turn, but I'm thinking I need a bit just to allow me to make it up the ice hills.

Will update further when I get a chance to try some of this stuff out.

RD

Adair Track Tuners

Any further update on release or in field testing on different track styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Sounds like I have a set of Track Tuners on the way, can't wait to try them out.

Also have a few different types of "Traction Enhancers" on the way as well. Picks, Studs, and Cleats that I can do some testing on. I don't nesessarily want a whole bunch of traction on Ice and Hardpack, but I need SOME. Too much traction will make it a bugger to turn, but I'm thinking I need a bit just to allow me to make it up the ice hills.

Will update further when I get a chance to try some of this stuff out.

RD
    Hey Doc whats up you got snow enough to update this thread,track tuners any report,we have had near zero snow and at the cottage the lake has finally froze over but snow is minimal so I haven't had a chance to try out the rubber tracks(stupid global warming)N.C.T

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Hey Doc whats up you got snow enough to update this thread,track tuners any report,we have had near zero snow and at the cottage the lake has finally froze over but snow is minimal so I haven't had a chance to try out the rubber tracks(stupid global warming)N.C.T
    I'm working on it, but as for snow, there is not much to ride in. I have been working on a couple vids but really, I'm not sure I will post them, they are kinda boring. We might have 5" of snow in places that are not packed down.

I have recieved the Track Tuners, but am still waiting for some spacers. I've already come to the conclusion that the Tuners are NOT needed with the Adair Tracks, I have encountered NO chain windup at all. My interest in the Tuners is to see if I can install and run 24" tires on my center 2 axles, with 22" tires on the front and back. This will require some Tub Mods and I am not there yet.
    I have recieved my wider spacers for the Adair Tracks to make them 18" wide, but again, I am still waiting for some pieces. I had hoped to recieve everything by yesterday, and would then have time to widen the tracks and try some Cleats/Studs/Picks this weekend but will now have to wait untill I get home next week.
    This is what happens when you try to get stuff close to xmas time, lol.

One thing about the Adair tracks, now that I have "scuffed" up the Grouser Faces, they are not quite as slippery as they were when new.

Once I pull the Adair Tracks off to refit with wider spacers, I will install my rubber tracks and the Tuners for a bit of testing. They are bad for Chain Windeup issues, so I'm interested in seeing how the tuners work out.

RD

Thanks RD,my main interest in TT,s is if there is going to be a tire spin issue,if no issue I will be putting them on asap,bit of a slow start to the winter really had no opportunity to try these tracks out,for where I travel I think these will out perform my supers but Iam concerned about the windup,again these will only be used in the winter absolutely no need for them in the summer,I did some surfing thru U tube and older vid,s you put up,man O man your machines get a work out thats some evil swamp,I have nothing that compares to that on the northern shield where I travel my machine is babied in direct comparison.N.C.T

OK, So I managed to get some things done. First off, I did get the tracks converted over to the wider spacers and am now 18" wide. That was a bit of a job, but nothing that a couple buddies and a few drinks couldn't handle. Right now I've gone with 1.5" x 1/4" bolts through the extensions, but I may up that to 2" bolt in the future if I decide I want a little more. I've put one Cleat on every 5th Grouser, staggered, and also on that Grouser is 1 Gold Digger Stud. There is also 1 Gold Digger Stud on 2 of the Grousers between each Cleated Grouser. I worked my way up to that fairly quickly, but stopped there as it was feeling pretty good.
    In this pic, the Cleat is not mounted, it's just sitting there with a screw in the pilot hole. I ended up mounting the Cleats with 1.5"x1/4" bolts

A little hard to see, but there it is

I tried a little "Spinaramma", from WOT on the road, and as you can see, the tracks are biting in hard. Pre Cleat/Stud, I would probably ended up 50yrds further down the road.
    I'm not standing very far in front of the machine

Now that the tracks are wider, I have installed the Track Tuners on the center axles, and Standard Axle Extenders + 1/4" spacers on the front and rear axles. We went for quite a long ride today with both machines. Mostly Hard pack trails and Winter Roads, but also about a half mile up a frozen Muskeg Creek. The creek had some nasty deadfall, a few steep banks, small Beaver dams, ect. I have to say that, in their current configurations, the Adair Tracks outperformed the Supertracks in every situation. Not once did we slip a tire in the Adair tracks, with only the front and rear tires driving. We had a med load in the machines, 8 of us with a bit of winter gear (just in case).
    Track Tuner

Up The Creek

Keeping in mind that this trip had many "Firsts", and was not a long (maybe 10 miles) or technical ride, I have nothing but good to say about the Tuners and the Tracks. I might go so far as to say the Tuners improved the performance of the machine, but there is no way to prove something like that, way to many variables. But the machine did "feel" very good, and had no problem keeping up to the machine with 30% more HP

Will post more later
    RD

Little clip of the wider tracks on the hill in our back yard. Prior to the modifications, it was a struggle to get up here. We had freezing rail, and the hill is a sheet of ice under that bit of snow. The snow is pretty chewed up by the time I took this vid (Sorry about the "wobble", my hands were getting cold)
    You can see the Track Tuners in the center axles when the machine comes up the hill the second time.

Happy Campers

RD

Nice pics there RD. You have some great country to play in. Seems like the adair tracks are the way to go. Even with a little snow and ice the can out perform other track systems.

As for the snow, I hope you can keep it on the west coast....Here in the east there is no snow and my wife thinks her tulips may come up any day now.....Don't care for the stuff anymore......

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    That's what I'm talking about!
    I bet that steep rocky hill is doable...

it's getting a lot better, Tim and the team at Adair Argo are very serious about making the BEST track system
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread