Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Adair Tracks in extreme cold?

RD,

are you running the 24 inch tires in the mid and 22s on the ends?

Rock Doctor

Since you have the track tuners intalled on your 8x8 , I assume that you also have the 24 " inch carlisle tires mounted on the middle two axles and the 22" inch carlisle tires mounted on the two out side axles? How does this set up perform compared to the Argo tracks with 8 tires of the same size on both sides of the machine?

RD, I am so impressed, I can't wait for a full trail ride, those ice cleats look like they will do the job in just about any terrain, I can't wait to see how those 18" tracks perform in deep snow.

Funny about appearances, side by side the 18" super tracks look bad to the bone, just by looking it's hard to understand just how good the Adair tracks are until you have driven a vehicle with a set installed, it's an exciting time to own an amphibious vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
    RD,

are you running the 24 inch tires in the mid and 22s on the ends?
    Sorry guys, I'm just not that far yet. The lower tub must be modified before I can attempt that. It might be a rather large undertaking, and I just don't have the time yet. In fact, my original intent on that front was to do that tub mod on my next Conquest Project Rebuild. I can see that the interest is there, but keeping in mind that Winter is my busy time, I will have to just see how things work out

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Sorry guys, I'm just not that far yet. The lower tub must be modified before I can attempt that. It might be a rather large undertaking, and I just don't have the time yet. In fact, my original intent on that front was to do that tub mod on my next Conquest Project Rebuild. I can see that the interest is there, but keeping in mind that Winter is my busy time, I will have to just see how things work out

RD
    RD, I don't see why it's an issue anyway, you're never gonna get stuck with the current set up in mud or swamp, and the system you have works great in snow and ice so what's the point? The Adair tracks already turn well, you seem to have solved the ice issue, if you run the tracks "as is" in mud this summer you are going to run circles around every machine in Canada so why bother with the 24" inch 22" set up? The idea here for the track tuners is less wear and tear on the machine right? Seems to me that you have already accomplished everything you set out to do so just go out and have fun with the machine and shoot some video so the rest of us can enjoy just how well that conquest works. I am absolutely dieing to see any 8x8 Argo with Adair tracks in snow, ice, mud or any other condition soooooo, video please!!

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post

RD, I don't see why it's an issue anyway, you're never gonna get stuck with the current set up in mud or swamp, and the system you have works great in snow and ice so what's the point? The Adair tracks already turn well, you seem to have solved the ice issue, if you run the tracks "as is" in mud this summer you are going to run circles around every machine in Canada so why bother with the 24" inch 22" set up? The idea here for the track tuners is less wear and tear on the machine right? Seems to me that you have already accomplished everything you set out to do so just go out and have fun with the machine and shoot some video so the rest of us can enjoy just how well that conquest works. I am absolutely dieing to see any 8x8 Argo with Adair tracks in snow, ice, mud or any other condition soooooo, video please!!
    Haha, excellent post Dan, I love your enthusiasm and am looking forward to putting on some miles. I do have a vid to post, shot on Christmas Day. I will post it in Model Citizen's Thread "Winter Wonderland". I had both machines there, but was running the one with Supertracks up and down the hill.

Check it out

RD

Well, it's been a while coming, but here is a little clip from when I widened the Adair Tracks. It didn't turn out very well at all, I had issues with my VIO POV1 Headcam, so all I managed to get was some footage with my Cell Phone. You will still get the idea though. Procedure was to split the tracks, then take the end Grouser off one side. Then move one Grouser over one position, replace the narrow Spacer with a wider one, then move the next Grouser over. work through the tracks and then finally put the original removed Grouser back on at the end of the track.

I did break a couple of the screws, and had to try to get the broken piece out of a couple of the Grousers, but it was not a big deal.

RD

Hey RD...as time goes by we are getting a little smarter with the wide tracks and I just wanted to pass on some new things we have just recently learned...first, when you assemble the wide track with the wide spacer, if you lay the next spacer UNDER the last one ( instead of on top of the last one) then it helps by opening the gap up for the chain to fall into instead of pinching it closed and requiring pliers to force it down into....another helpful change in the last week or two is the little rectangular plastic plugs that drop down into the chain link are now CNC'd for a perfect fit and less bloody knuckles...lol

Wish we had learned all of this before you went through the process of converting yours and I could have saved you a lot of effort. Thanks for getting some good video and helping show the process so it is a little easier for others to see whats involved :-)

Tim

+ Reply to Thread