1 1/4 Splined axle upgrade

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1 1/4 Splined axle upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think the other difference is that the flat area machined on the axles for the outer bearing set screw is in a slightly different place. If you use the older style axles you just have to extend the existing flat towards the hub a little.
    Thanks Mike,you did the change over tell me this there is no longer outer hull seal assembly's and no O ring inside the bearing to seal to the axle,I asked about the use of silicone at the bearing and was told no,seems odd to me I use this machine a great deal in water,I have not got the kit yet and this answer may be in there whats your experience?N.C.T

You can use silicone between the axle and inner race of the bearing if you like but the tolerances are so tight that it's not necessary.

Finished the upgrade and all the little detail work I wanted to do on the tank trainer about a week ago. I still haven't taken it for a drive, but hunting season ended today so hopefully I will get to go play in the woods soon.

Today I launched into the Wild Wolf. I am going to need to move the inner bearings out by about 2 inches. tomorrow I will dig through the scrap bin at work and try to figure out some sort of spacer to mount them on. sadly, this won't work on the LR and LC axles as they have to be run all the way in for sprocket alignment. On those axles, I will have to run 2 inches of wheel spacer. I will also have to move the LF chain adjuster inboard (so as to not have to lengthen splines).

With all the fabrication that I need to do to the frame, I decided that the best course of action would be to gut the machine. Currently the frame is out and the tub is flipped upside down so I can form up the skid plate, and fix some major damage to the the under side. Hopefully in a week or 2 she will be going back together.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last weekend I finished up the skid plate and got it installed.

Several late nights this week, and the Wolf is coming together quite nicely. Thursday night I finished up all the fabrication work, and mocked up all the axles to make sure the plan would work. All the right side, and the left front inner bearings got spaced out. Also had to repair/ beef up the front cross member and T-20 mounting.

Frame went to work with me yesterday and got painted. It's nice having access to a paint booth again. Had I done this one in the driveway, the paint would have frozen before it dried

Last night the frame went back into the tub. Body had to be redrilled for the larger outer bearings. In about 2 hours work, I had all the axles installed, engine and trans back in the machine, and everything but the exhaust hooked up.

2 weeks into this project and I can finally start working on the AXLE UPGRADE that it started out to be. I'm still waiting for a few of the splined hubs that were back ordered. I have enough to do the front and rear axles. hopefully this weekend I can get them done and lock those axles in place. at least then I can roll the machine outside till the parts come in, freeing up room to start the process on the PimpFoot
    Last edited by racerone3; 01-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2 months later and I'm finally making some progress. January was wasted waiting for splined hubs (finally caved and got 4 of the more expensive ones that MicMac posted), February was so busy at work that I hardly stepped into my shop.

Thursday night I got all the sprockets in place, lined up and locked down... also ran new chains. Last night was spent working on the wheel spacers for the left rear and center axles. Tires are back on the machine and she is on the ground! still have a few details to take care of inside the tub, and I will probably have to modify the floor pan for clearance on the left front chain adjuster. A few hours today and she should be buttoned up mechanically. then I will need to put some fresh paint on the cage, and shine the body up (again!!!). for some reason this machine oxidizes really easily.

Great work Race, great work!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

+ Reply to Thread