Mounting tires

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting tires

Mounting tires

OK...I've mounted plenty of tires, but I'm stumped. I have an old Max II with 21x11x8 tires and regular steel rims. I just bought new Carlisle tires and they're easy to remove...seating the bead, not so much. I tried the strap trick: nothing. Am I left with the starter fluid trick? The redneck in me says 'heck yeah'. Any advice?

Yeah! If the either doesn't go off the first time.....adding more and trying again SCARES the neighbors 1/2 mile away. Not that I would know from experience or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by photomd View Post
    OK...I've mounted plenty of tires, but I'm stumped. I have an old Max II with 21x11x8 tires and regular steel rims. I just bought new Carlisle tires and they're easy to remove...seating the bead, not so much. I tried the strap trick: nothing. Am I left with the starter fluid trick? The redneck in me says 'heck yeah'. Any advice?
    Sometimes can be a real problem,starting fluid works no question,that is except for me coordination is crucial and timing is everything,and it takes 6 weeks to grow back eyebrows,if you know anybody with a tire shop or a trucking company you can use their Blast tank,I built one years ago basically a air pig with a 11/4 or 11/2 outlet on goes a ball valve and a 12 inch defuser and pump it up to 110 ish pounds stick the defuser into the bead area and clamp on a air chuck to the tire valve and open the ball valve and boom tire on bead.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Sometimes can be a real problem,starting fluid works no question,that is except for me coordination is crucial and timing is everything,and it takes 6 weeks to grow back eyebrows,if you know anybody with a tire shop or a trucking company you can use their Blast tank,I built one years ago basically a air pig with a 11/4 or 11/2 outlet on goes a ball valve and a 12 inch defuser and pump it up to 110 ish pounds stick the defuser into the bead area and clamp on a air chuck to the tire valve and open the ball valve and boom tire on bead.
    Bead seaters also work very well for "Potatoe Launchers!!" :-D but yah...i'd soap up the beads and rims real good, and then Light that mother Up with some Starting Fluid!
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

I've had some success using regular air hose and no valve core in the stem. Run compressor to max PSI, with no valve core or air chuck press the quick connect fitting of air hose down over valve stem. This seems to give a little of the blast tank effect due to not having the restrictions of valve core and air chuck. It's really done the trick a few times.
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

First off I should say thanks to the people on this site. This site, like other sites I use have visited, has been very helpful as I play with this old toy. Thanks y'all...I appreciate the help.

So on with the saga....even the ether trick didn't work. I tired the strap trick again and no love. I took the valve stem out and ran my compressor to max pressure (125) and still nothing. Anyone have another suggestion? Thanks again. I may have to punt and take the tires to a local place to get them to seat.
    Last edited by photomd; 12-03-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Once I cut 3 or 4 boards to Jam between the beads to hold them farther apart than they would be once installed. Let the tire sit for a few days to "train" it to keep the beads far apart before mounting.
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

If all else fails.... Go buy one tube,
    inflate tube to mount tire, use some permatex #800062 to glue the rear bead in place,
    break down front bead and remove tube,
    insert new valve stem and apply permatex to this bead also (can"t hurt),
    sit tire on open end of 5 gal bucket (or similar) with seated bead down,
    apply light pressure to center of rim while putting in air.
    The pressure on the rim should bring the bead to the edge and make it much easier to seat.

You just haven't used enough ether YET!!! We've even done grader tires, but it took a good shot of ether to do it. And you will get a good bang :-)

I thought I might let people know how this ended up. I could not get the beads to seat so I took it to a local shop. Then hit it with a blast tank and the beads would not seat. They couldn't get the beads to blow out and seat. We ended up putting tubes in all the tires which worked well. Thanks for y'all's help. :-)

+ Reply to Thread