Vanguard Oil Leak

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanguard Oil Leak

Vanguard Oil Leak

Are there any typical leak spots on a Vanguard V-Twin? My 14 Hp leaks as soon as I add oil (that explains the oil in the tub when I bought it... I thought it was just a previous owner changing the oil by letting it drain into the tub then then out the tub drains)

Leaks are rare for any real quantity of oil. The valve covers may slowly leak over time but it is minimal. Check the drain plugs, there is one front and one rear. Make sure they are tight and haven't cracked the casing.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Not sure about the 14hp, but my 18hp was leaking out the PTO crank seal. My bushing on the recoil side is worn and I think the movement wore my seal. Was pretty easy to change seal. The bushing on the other hand looks like it will be pull the motor to replace. Mine was flinging oil all over the front of the tub and getting on belt and left brake.

If it is not obvious, and you check the plugs and they are tight you can add some dye to the oil and shine a black light on it after you have ran it a minute or so and it will show up. The gasket that seals the crank case hardly ever fails except in higher rpm motors. The dye will show you your leak or leaks. Good hunting.

Thanks for all of the replies. The motor is out the the Max, so I'm thinking of suspending it from a chain (attached to head bolts), cleaning all of the muck off of the engine and then adding oil. In theory, at least, I should be able to see where the oil is coming from. (All I have now is the sight of oil dripping anlong the bottome of the engine case, but oil will travel to the lowest point).

Problem solved... the block is cracked. ARGH!!! Now I need to find another engine... so far, the best price is from RI, but then I have to tack on shipping. At least it'll be pretty much brand new... if the trans is bad it will be brand new!!!

Depending where the crack is your engine may be repairable? If its away from the mount bosses I've repaired a lot of blocks with marine tex. epoxy similar to J-B weld. I have generator with an aluminum plate screwed to the block and sealed with marine tex. Been using it for 15 years. New is nice but may be able to save a $.

I gave up and purchased a new engine on ebay... it's only a 16HP, but the price was right ($755+shipping). The motor is in and I'm waiting for a new belt. While it was trying to move the motor around to install the old belt (which was to small), I cracked the flexible exhaust pipe, so now I need to decide what to do for a muffler. So far this thing has been a money pit, so I don't want sink a couple of hundred dollars into a rear exit exhaust. I'm going to beat this thing if it kills me!!!

+ Reply to Thread