ripping metal stem away from tube

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ripping metal stem away from tube

ripping metal stem away from tube

i had trouble with 3 tubless tires always going flat(with or without tracks) so l decided to put tubes in them all before l went moose htg this fall using my tracks. the right rear tube stem(proper sized tubes) got sheared off 3 times(i only had 2 extra) I carefully turned to ease the torque on that tire(right rear) only that one tire is giving me trouble. can anyone out there help me?? thks

Tubes are not a good idea for our tires because at the low pressure that we run, the tires can easily slip on the wheel which is what you are experiencing. To eliminate this you can run higher pressure but that gives a terrible ride, less traction and if you are running tracks, it isn't usually feasible. If I were you, I would remove the tube, use Permatex to glue the tire bead to the wheel. Then run slime inside the tire and you should not have any more issues.

I second the comment that tubes and ATV tires are not a good ideal. The tires spin on the rims and the stems will shear off of the tube. Make sure your beads are in good condition, remount the tire on the wheel and use "Slime" tire sealant. The Slime does a good job sealing slow bead leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moose View Post
    i had trouble with 3 tubless tires always going flat(with or without tracks) so l decided to put tubes in them all before l went moose htg this fall using my tracks. the right rear tube stem(proper sized tubes) got sheared off 3 times(i only had 2 extra) I carefully turned to ease the torque on that tire(right rear) only that one tire is giving me trouble. can anyone out there help me?? thks
    I agree with the replies you have so far, but have a question.
    You sheared off the tube stem 3 times, but you had 2 spares? Two spare what? Tubes or stems? If it was stems, how do you replace a stem on a tube?
    OK, maybe more than one question
    How did you get the tire off the rim while out in the field to make your repaires?

RD

[How did you get the tire off the rim while out in the field to make your repaires?

RD[/QUOTE]

RD,

I am sure that there are several ways to break down a tire in the boonies....I have used a couple pieces of 2 x 4 to break down truck tires before....Takes a little elbow grease but can be done....

Guyfox

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    [How did you get the tire off the rim while out in the field to make your repaires?

RD
    RD,

I am sure that there are several ways to break down a tire in the boonies....I have used a couple pieces of 2 x 4 to break down truck tires before....Takes a little elbow grease but can be done....

Guyfox[/QUOTE]

I agree, I've done it with a contrived "Press" made out of tree trunks, but was wondering about easier ways to get it done.
    Never had to do a truck tire though.

RD

sorry l should have mentioned that l had spare tubes. l broke the tirr beads with a jackall against the bottom of my truck bumper and the tire on the ground. l'm going to get a bead breaker from Priness Auto for about $80. l'm also going to take tubes out 1 x 1 and if l find 1 that holds air l will put it on my rr . l am not a fan of slime

sorry l should have mentioned that l had spare tubes. l broke the tirr beads with a jackall against the bottom of my truck bumper and the tire on the ground. l'm going to get a bead breaker from Priness Auto for about $80. l'm also going to take tubes out 1 x 1 and if l find 1 that holds air l will put it on my rr . l am not a fan of slime
    I use this in my motorcycles tires Ride-On It even helps to balance the wheel as well. When you do a tire change. Its not messy like slime or fix-a-flat.

You are experiencing "chain wind-up" and the weakest link is the right rear tire turning on the rim. You should be checking to make sure all of your tires are the same diameter to reduce the problem. If the problem continues and you always run tracks, just remove the rear chains.

THAT'S what I'm talking about
    Thanks for the tip, glad you posted it. I doubt I would have thought of that.

RD

+ Reply to Thread