Coil Testing - 18hp briggs and stratton

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coil Testing - 18hp briggs and stratton

Coil Testing - 18hp briggs and stratton

Hello all, I'm new here and just purchased a hustler. It is not getting a spark. Can anyone tell me how to test the coil? I can't seem to find any information on the internet. Also, when I put it back on, what should the gap be from the coil to the flywheel.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Thanks

Phil

there really isn't any test for the coil, it either sparks or doesn't. when you put it back on, rotate the flywheel till the magnet is under the coil mount tabs. lay a 3/5 index card (they are about .035) on the magnet, then set the coil in place. don't push down on the coil, just let the magnet pull it down. snug up the bolts, and rotate the flywheel by hand while tugging on the index card to pull it out.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mine had a diod in the coil wire that went bad. was like 8 bucks to fix.

Make sure the kill terminal isnt grounded. The diode wire can fail making one or both coils dead or fail to where you cant kill the engine with the mag ground terminal. demo61x is correct should be less than ten$.

If you have the flat twin briggs that came stock in the hustlers, there won't be a diode wire. those engines use a single coil with 2 plug wires as the cylinders are timed 180 degrees apart.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks guys.
    I dropped the coil off at a small engine repair shop tonight. They said they will test it in the morning (i guess put plugs on it and see if it sparks). He said that most people that bring coils in and tested are not faulty (other problems). I hope mine is bad so I know what the problem is, lol. It is not the stock engine. The person I bought it from, I think said it had a koehler engine? He put this engine in a while back (used engine). It is a briggs model number 422447-4059-01. Is the kill terminal the small wire that plugs into the coil (not the two large wires that go to the spark plug)? If so, that wire should not be grounded? It was connected to the case of the engine, I thought that meant it was grounded. I think it's the flat twin (i guess), the cylinders are not like in a motorcycle (v).

Thanks again for your responses. I'm ready to get this thing running!!!!!

Phil

the diode between my coils on the kill switch wire was bad as well.. odd thing, if you touch the coil paths together, they will shut motor down..so i wander just how that whole process works!? anyhow, let us know what ya find.
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Ok, they tested the coil (magneto) and it was bad they said. Bought a new one, put it on, cranked it and still no spark! Any other ideas to why it will not spark? There is a little box (1.5" x 1.5" x 1/4" approx.) that is mounted on the flywheel shroud, it has a red wire (power to it when the key is at the middle "on" position. with two yellow wires coming out. I would think that if power is going in, power should come out of the wires???? but nothing. What is this device. I can't see where the wires go to, go in behind the flywheel area. Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

I can understand how bad you want that thing to fire so here's a guess. I say remove any grounds on that motor except for the big heavy gauged one. I've had issues in the past where the ignition switch was grounding the coil as if in stop position even when I was in run or start position.
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

Quote Originally Posted by cclingma View Post
    I can understand how bad you want that thing to fire so here's a guess. I say remove any grounds on that motor except for the big heavy gauged one. I've had issues in the past where the ignition switch was grounding the coil as if in stop position even when I was in run or start position.
    Reread and that's not really what I meant. I say remove all wires to motor except the one going to starter and big frame ground....then see if spark.
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

+ Reply to Thread