Starter problems in 1999 AGRO Response 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starter problems in 1999 AGRO Response 8x8

Starter problems in 1999 AGRO Response 8x8

My ARGO has been sitting in my uncle's yard for a while now and my dad finally asked him if we could have it. So my dad and I have been tinkering with it for a while now and finally got it to run. Problem is, I tried to use the electric starter and just clicks when i turn the key into the start position and when i turn it back. It does nothing else which means i have to take the hood off and pullstart it every time i want to start it. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? And yes, I have good sized arms from that
    My dream team: 1999 ARGO Response 8x8, 2003 Silverado, a 1963 Husquvarna chainsaw and a 2010 Husquvarna chainsaw.
    Randomstuff.site90.net

It sounds like you need a new battery although corrosion in any of the connectors/wires between the battery and the starter could also cause this. Be sure to check the ground part of the circuit as well.

I just picked up an argo. It has a tecumseh sigle cly. eninge. Starter was seized remove and cleaned it out. works fine now. Happy riden

ok...i tried to put in another battery and it did the same thing...i guess i check the wires...which wires could be bad?
    My dream team: 1999 ARGO Response 8x8, 2003 Silverado, a 1963 Husquvarna chainsaw and a 2010 Husquvarna chainsaw.
    Randomstuff.site90.net

I'll assume that we are sure that the new battery is a good battery.

There should be a wire that goes from the positive post on the battery to a solenoid (the solenoid is the switch for the starter) and another from the solenoid to the starter. These will be heavier wires. The other wires at the solenoid are ok because we know that the key switch is making something happen at the starter.

Check to make sure these are clean at every connection first and try it.

If that doesn't work then:

On the ground post of the battery is probably a strap that connects the battery to the case of the engine somehow. Sometimes this can be tricky to trace out as you might have a strap from the battery to a frame and then somewhere else from the frame to the engine. We can test this with one side of a jumper cable: being real careful to not touch any positively charges (hot) wires, connect one side of a jumper cable to the negative post of the battery and the other end of that side of the jumper cable to a good clean metal part of the engine case. Then try to start it. If this makes it work, then we need to trace out the ground circuit and fix it.

If none of this works then I would check the starter just like Howa-jack mentions.

Probably just the starter solenoid. Easy fix/check on the 18hp Briggs. Follow the large positive wire from the battery, it'll go to the solenoid. Another large wire off that solenoid goes to the starter. Use a large screwdriver to connect those two posts on the solenoid. Connect them quickly or sparks will fly. That will give a direct connection from the battery to the starter. If that works, just replace the solenoid, cheap fix available at the autoparts store (take in the old one to match it up). Ignition key does not have to be on to do this test, or turn it on and the engine will start.
    If that doesn't do it and the screwdriver doesn't jump the power, it's the starter itself or a bad ground.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Hey MaxRules could be right here. Are you getting a single click when you turn the key or are you getting clickittyclickittyclickitty...

For some reason I was thinking the clickittyclickitty...

If it is a single click then do what he says.
    Last edited by JohnF; 12-21-2011 at 01:10 AM.

it just clicks once...thanks for your help!
    Randomstuff.site90.net

It needs a new starter solenoid...thanks everybody!!!
    Randomstuff.site90.net

+ Reply to Thread