Tire Choices

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire Choices

Tire Choices

What Ive been reading about tires on our rides. The air pressure is kept very minimal for a softer ride and for traction. Where I live. I dont want to chance riding without tracks. Ive beaver on my property and they leave small chewed off saplings. Perfect for impaling tires and even a person, should you fall on one.
    I'm not rebuilding mine for racing. But to explore areas on my property that I havent ever ventured in. Ive 3 acres of wet lands, adjoined by another private 20 acres of the same. Quads wont be able to go where I will and thats the beauty of it all, actually no one will. I'm seeing riders concerned about how much weight they would add. I presume this is a major factor to be concerned about for racing. But what if you dont race? Just how much weight can one add and just what is the limit of our AATVs so they will still float or perform? Other than a soft ride. Are these types of balloon tires required? I have built custom motorcycles and I dont rely on the suspension or the tires alone to give me a soft ride. Actually its the seating that provides the most comfort. Im looking into maybe mounting a set of bucket seats I have on hand here. That's if I can fit them. Looks like one for the front and one for the rear. They are leather and I can water proof their surface with sno-seal.

So what Im asking is how much weight can one add and just what is the limit of our AATVs so they will still float or perform?

Are these types of balloon tires we use required?

Will the tracks still work with harder tires? I plan on crawling over sticker bushes and swamp grass and crossing ponds and following creeks.

You can't put leather bucket seats in an amphib...it just won't work...And they don't ride nice with a spring bottom and thicker foam either IMG_0409.jpg

Softer tires often work better against punctures, but with all the hazzards you have tracks may be best.
    As far as weight limitations, each machine is different. Better go with the mfgr recommendations

zoood

I built a suspension , bench seat out of the stock bench seat that originally came on my Max IV. I used two 5 inch, harley davidson ,solo seat springs that I ordered from J&P cycles. Using the stock seat foam that came on my Max IV, the suspension seat rides like a cadilac over bumps when compared to the stock seat. For my first test drive with the suspension seat , I drove over a log that was about 10" inches tall from the ground , and the suspension seat soaked up all of the hard impact when I slammed down on the other side of the log. I was really impressed! This would have been brutal with the stock seat as hard as I came down. I then drove across a bumpy feild at medium speed and was amazed at how well the suspension seat absorbed the bumps. Once you ride on suspension seat you'll never want to ride with out one again.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 12-14-2011 at 02:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread