Dual Wheels ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dual Wheels ?

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    you can barely fathom what I mean by fully loaded I will post up pics next spring,.
    I've been looking for some of my pics, I've had 2 whole Moose loaded into one Argo a few times. Drop the guts, and load em up. Head, hide, horns, hooves and all. Really wish I could find those pics, lol. Other than hauling a couple 50gal drums of Glycol in one load, that's about as heavy as I go. Little over 600lbs each, plus a couple guys and gear, puts me around 2,000lbs of load.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    How much does duals add to the stability/carying capacity of the machine in water? A wheel/tire weighs about 35lbs, so how much water is displaced by the tire/wheel in weight? If we know that, we can figure out how much extra buoyancy the duals add to the machine.
    Hope you don't mind all the questions, I have enough tires and wheels to do it, just not sure if it would be right for my application. RD
    adding 8 tires increases bouency by about a field dressed and boned moose..... you asked RD

if your running 24inch by 12 tires with an 8 inch rim, the rim probably wont help you float at all. so pi radius squared times width is the volume of a cylender minus the volume of the rim is your volume dispalced in water.

12^2 * pi *12-4^2*pi*12=

1728pi-192pi=4823.0 inches cubed of displacement for a 24x12x8 tire and rim combo

and Water is 62.3 lbs per cubic foot

4823.0 inches cubed devided by 1728 cubic inches per foot means that our tire has 2.79 cubic feet.

now for the fun stuff. we need to find out how much weight we can put on one of these tires to totaly submerge it

apparent immersed weight= weight - weight of displaced fluid

so 35lbs for the tire - 2.79 feet cubed times 62.3 lbs water per cubic foot

so you get approxamitly 138.8 lbs per tire IF YOU SUBMERGE THE TIRE ALL THE WAY!!

if you only want to shove the tire 3/4 under water (by volume)

35lbs for the tire - 2.79 feet cubed times 62.3 lbs water per cubic foot times .75 (the three quarters of a tire) is STILL about 95 pounds.

so adding eight tires to an argo, that increases bouency by 800 lbs to as much as 1104 lbs

I admit I didnt read all the post here but I have an idea with the reaching grease zerks. I work at a feed Mill and we have a few bearings hear and there that you cant really get to easily. So you just hook a hose to where the grease zerk is and mount the zerk where you want. Remote grease zerks. I have also seen them on semi trucks too where all the zerks are right in one spot. But I would recommend using a clear type hose if you do that because you have to pump alot in them before it reaches the bearing the first time. With clear you could see it reach the bearings. Now you just have to figure out how to keep sticks and debris from ripping off the hoses if you do it.

How about a McMaster-Carr in conjunction with the remote hose.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Those are cool too. We had them on the turn head bearings on top of one of your grain elevators.
    And for the air in inside tires. The sell some adapter for semi tires that connect both valve stems together and keep the tire pressure balanced. They are suppose to help with wear from the cup in the road. But if one goes flat the other will to I believe. Maybe drill 2 new holes in your rimes and put a valve stem or a nipple to connect them with a regular hose. Run the hose up to the axle to get to the other side. Or if you have max hollow axles go right into the axle if you can seal them up. But you will have another thing for debri to get caught on again and probably wont be worth the hassle.

Ahh there you go knew we had a mathematical genius on this site sounds about right to me Spookum always kinda thought it would about double water weight load capacity,the huge added bonus is stability with tires out that wide,thanks Spookum for the math lesson.N.C.T
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 12-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Ahh there you go knew we had a mathematical genius on this site sounds about right to me Spookum always kinda thought it would about double water weight load capacity,the huge added bonus is stability with tires out that wide,thanks Spookum for the math lesson.N.C.T
    If i get a chance, ill use the torsinal force to find out how much more stable it is LOL It is nice to know that my colledge physics coures that i just took a final in and cost me liek 600 bucks and 300 bucks for the book is actualy usefull as aposed to art aprecacion... lol im going to get the reputation of egg head if i keep this up!

Yes spookum, thanks for the info.
    Also like the idea of flexible valve stem extensions

Cheers
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Hey Jim, how about the remote filler for the cup too

Joe.

+ Reply to Thread