Dual Wheels ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual Wheels ?

Dual Wheels ?

How in the heck do you check/add air to the inside tires? I could see, maybe, using my "Highly Calibrated Foot" to check them, but then how do you add air if needed?

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    How in the heck do you check/add air to the inside tires? I could see, maybe, using my "Highly Calibrated Foot" to check them, but then how do you add air if needed?

RD
    Glad you asked RD its really scientific take the outers off,next Question how about greasing them long lasting brgs,Well Doc you pull all of the front and rear tires,spools,15 nuts and then you can get at the mid axles and the front and rear,do you have to be possessed to want too put yourself through this all the time,its a huge pain and not done without compressed air and a beverage,why you ask----water access cottage on top of a hill,makes it all worth while, I open up the enclosed trailer load the bejeebers out of the machine drive in troll across the lake back up to the door.N.C.T----P.S try to keep the tires that are not currently bead leaking on the inside,but all and all a soft tire or two out of sixteen is not a cause for panic

Damn, I thought I was going to learn some kind of secret. Longer valve stems on the inners, that stick out through the outer wheels, or reversed inner wheels to access the stems on the inside.
    Do you have to take the mid axle wheels off to grease the mid axle bearings? I can get at mine with the wheels on, but not the fronts or rears. If you upgrade to the HDI bearings and drill a hole through the inner wheels, you could leave all the inner wheels on to grease up......... Or would the spacers interfere with that option?

Have you tried, or thought to try douling up with different size tires? Maybe 24" inner tires coupled with 22" outer tires? Might ease the stress on the machine running on the 24's on hard ground, and the doules would only come into effect on soft terrain.......
    Or something even more different, douling up with 24's inside and 25's on the outside? Same effect, but a little harder on the drivetrain, but even more clearance?

RD

How much does duals add to the stability/carying capacity of the machine in water? A wheel/tire weighs about 35lbs, so how much water is displaced by the tire/wheel in weight? If we know that, we can figure out how much extra buoyancy the duals add to the machine.
    Hope you don't mind all the questions, I have enough tires and wheels to do it, just not sure if it would be right for my application.

RD

Actually RD thats next this is why Iam evacuating my overstock tire supply,but its not as simple as it seems you see the "spools"I originally built about 23 years ago for my 8 IC so when I started running Avengers the stock tires were to wide to dual up with my current spools,so I went to frontier tires and they just make it,now Iam wanting to go to the next gen Carlyle,s which are larger and wider,so break out the lathe and the welder and build a new slue of spools,the other draw back is the trailer,I whipped up a trailer to handle the extra width no issue but not a chance it will go in my inclosed its inner fender to inner fender now,big drag but on the other hand with the tracks on it fits no prob,s and that is the dirty time to haul,in the new year I will be ordering the Adair towable cover for the spring thru fall.And no once the fronts and rears are off I can grease the mids.N.C.T

hey rd how about 22's on the inners with adair tracks and 24's on the outer or vise versa? just trying to be funny. i wonder though, does running duallies rob alot of horse power?

you may want to look at a valve stem extender hose we use them on the heavy road trucks .it is pretty much just a hose that screws on valve stem that goes out and we put the mounting plate under a hub bolt.Than on that end is where you check your air or add air no need to try to get to the inner valve stem.They also make a hose that will connect both tires to the same hose so it will balabce out tire pressure but as you guessed one goes flat so does the other.

I cant tell you exactly but I can tell you this,there is not enough space to overload this machine in water the further it goes down the more pressure the tires exert upwards and the stability is unreal,you can fully loaded and you can barely fathom what I mean by fully I will post up pics next spring,you can if you so desire stand on the duals while relieving yourself of beverages while crossing a lake.I have on numerous occasions with the top on loaded the back to the top and the front seat floor area with no more than a spot to sit and toured in no issue,the only issue I ever had was when my new Avenger was suppose to be in before I headed north and it didnt make it so I had already took the duals off my trade in and had to take it up,I used what I thought was care in loading the vehicle with a lot less than I do and drove in and damn near sunk the thing,stroke of luck I didnt spun it around and got out,threw most of the load back in the trailer,my buddy changed his fruit of the looms and on we went,it had been so long since I ran one in the lake without ,them things are tippy.LOL N.C.T

Yes true enough reichstall would work great but still have to pull tires to grease so it was not that big of a deal,besides I was in the petroleum industry and had a shop with a handy genius type fella like the Rock doc that did all this for me,now Iam retired and have all the time in the world to play in my own shop,drink coffee,have buddys over and solve world problems.LOL

On a completely different rant Iam pretty sure that one of my frontier tires would hold my well nourished famine resistant body up in the water and Iam not shaped like a boat,so do some math,each wheel will support 150 lbs and Iam sure it would be more,then what will the hull hold wheels aside,you get the idea and the numbers climb drastically.
    Last edited by Mike; 12-15-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts. You can reply to everyone at once using the multi-quote button ;)

oh your the one solving the promblms good job, somebody has to i too enjoy working in the shop up till this argo is was old tractors rebuild, now i got this dumb thing,As for floation there is a big math promblem that has to do with water displaced and what not they say the answer is in the bottom of your favroite beverage you just got to find it.have fun finding it

Quote Originally Posted by reichstall View Post
    oh your the one solving the promblms good job, somebody has to i too enjoy working in the shop up till this argo is was old tractors rebuild, now i got this dumb thing,As for floation there is a big math promblem that has to do with water displaced and what not they say the answer is in the bottom of your favroite beverage you just got to find it.have fun finding it
    LOL reichstall did a stint with vintage tractors myself Model LA John deere,yea displacement there is a formula but fact is and you know it that you cant sink it when they could put up a foldaway skirt on a Sherman tank and float it 16 wheels on a plastic bathtub no problem.

+ Reply to Thread