Weird Starter Problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird Starter Problem

Weird Starter Problem

I have a problem with my starter. It runs in reverse. Thats with the positive hooked to the positive and ground to ground. Im bench testing it. The pinion gear doesnt come out when activated. When I switch polarities. + of battery to housing and - to the positive lead. It works the way its designed. I had the end piece with the brushes off and of course all the brushes popped out of their places and I had to put them back. I would think that the order that the brushes are now wouldnt be the cause of this. You think that if I had the brushes in different places that this may be the problem? I placed them according to the length of each brushes wire as to where they should go. Is there a set sequence for each brush? If so, anyone have a picture? Finding a wiring diagram for the routing of the brushes inside the end cap seems to be impossible.

Assuming your double checked your battery connections? Not sure how that motor is exactly but could it be possible to put the armature in the housing backwards? To do that the end plates would have to be able to swap sides on the round housing with the magnets? If so I think the magnets N-S would be backwards.

Ill look into your suggestion. I did take the armature out of the housing and when I put it back. I looked at it before assembly and couldn't tell which way was which. I didnt think it would matter. Another note on this starter. The pinion gear teeth were slightly worn on the very tips. So when I had it apart. I flipped the gear around. Still works exactly as it was designed. I know the gear replacement is only about 6 bucks. But when you add in shipping and tax for a new gear. Its cheaper to do it this way. Ill apply what you suggest and post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Assuming your double checked your battery connections? Not sure how that motor is exactly but could it be possible to put the armature in the housing backwards? To do that the end plates would have to be able to swap sides on the round housing with the magnets? If so I think the magnets N-S would be backwards.
    LarryW, you were correct. I had the housing reversed. Thank you for that. I was running out of hair to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by zoood View Post
    LarryW, you were correct. I had the housing reversed. Thank you for that. I was running out of hair to pull.
    Sweet! Glad to help.

Happier you got it fixed with a few hairs left, lol.

+ Reply to Thread