Kohler 18 HP into a 20 HP??? same bore and stroke what do i need to do?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kohler 18 HP into a 20 HP??? same bore and stroke what do i need to do?

Kohler 18 HP into a 20 HP??? same bore and stroke what do i need to do?

Hi guys! happy holidays. The kohler 18 HP and the 20 HP are the same bore and stroke (the 23 HP is a bigger bore... he he he) I think i may have a bead on a kohler that is in my price range. I looked up parts numbers and i cant find any discrepacies. So tell me, is it the carb? is it the exhaust? is it the timing? is is the cam? if i have to rebuild an 18 may as well make it a 20 right???? Thanks in advance and what are the part numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    Hi guys! happy holidays. The kohler 18 HP and the 20 HP are the same bore and stroke (the 23 HP is a bigger bore... he he he) I think i may have a bead on a kohler that is in my price range. I looked up parts numbers and i cant find any discrepacies. So tell me, is it the carb? is it the exhaust? is it the timing? is is the cam? if i have to rebuild an 18 may as well make it a 20 right???? Thanks in advance and what are the part numbers?
    What is the displacement for 23HP? 18hp is 570cc I believe.

18 and 20 hp are 627cc...

J dont you sleep? Idd print the parts pages for both engines and compare #s. I think its the carb. Guess who has a new 20hp carb on the shelf. 20hp mag. mod #M20S Spec #49521 Serial #2020110876 This one is a couple years newer than yours but will work. Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    J dont you sleep? Idd print the parts pages for both engines and compare #s. I think its the carb. Guess who has a new 20hp carb on the shelf. 20hp mag. mod #M20S Spec #49521 Serial #2020110876 This one is a couple years newer than yours but will work. Merry Christmas
    To whom are you referring about sleep? I worked midnights and am not smart enough to stay outta the garage and goto bed before I go back in for another one.
    Would the 20 hp carb be for a Vangard? if so it should fit the 18hp I run with (2001).

The carb is for a kohler magnum 20. I look at post times and see all hours day n nite. Spookum is building a magnum from parts.

goin to have to look at this deeper in detail, maybe even down in oregon! and as a side note, the max fired up, idled for a minute, then died. I was out of jumper pack so i had to call it quits. Oh well, it suprised me how easy it started!

PS im such a nite owl, especialy when i get a bright idea that wont allow me to go to sleep!

kohler 18 and 20 HP cam shaft part number: 82-755-13-S

kohler 18 HP carb: 52-853-23-S

kohler 28 HP carb: 52-853-27-S so very very close, and yet so far away!

governers are the same

looks like when i get back from oregon, i need to find out if they are the same carbs, as they are diffrent part numbers. how ever, number "3" and "11" are the same for both carbs . This means that the inflow and out flow have to be the same? i cant see having diffrent carb housings and the SAME gasket sets. what do you think oh wise buffalo truck buddy?

carb.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by spookum; 12-23-2011 at 05:04 AM.

The carb body is is the same. It think the flow rateis different. We can check the bore size.

sounds good! If the bodies are the same, hopefuly it is the needels, i just hope like heck it isnt a venturi some where.... that would not be fun. Slapping a pair of calipers on a 18 hp and the 20 hp will tell the tale fast enough! Thanks for all your help!

but Kohler still calls for different part numbers? kind of weird!

merry x-mas... and yes, the only reason im up THIS early is because iv been up all night

+ Reply to Thread