Turbochargers?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turbochargers?

Turbochargers?

Has anyone ever put a turbo on an engine like we use in our 6x6's? I was watching videos on youtube and ran across this guy who put one on a Kohler 22 HP.

I was thinking about trying this with my Kohler 20, since these turbos aren't extremely expensive (around $200 on ebay), but I wanted to get some opinions and thoughts first. So try it or no?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

If I was going with forced induction, all forged internals would be on the top of my list, first and foremost. I know Performance V-Twins has been experimenting with some supercharger options for V-twins. It's pretty cool that these innovations are coming about.

Performance V-Twins
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

you need to be very careful with forced induction, it is really easy to lean out and blow up the motor under boost.

if you are running a blow through(carb after turbo) you need to be sure the turbo is set up for being pressurized.
    if you are running a draw through(carb before turbo) you need to be sure the turbo has the right kind of seals in it(I think carbon seals are what you want, but don't quote me on that)

you also need to set up a rising rate fuel pressure system, so the carb will deliver more fuel as boost rises, which means a new higher pressure fuel pump, and a fuel pressure regulator.

there is lots of power to be had with forced induction, but you need to be careful not to destroy your motor(and it happens fast, just a minute with a bad tune will toast a motor)

I would supercharge one if you really want forced induction, they are alot easier to set up(less dynamic variables) and you dont have to worry about the kind of seals to run a draw through(by far the easiest way to do it)

just my 2 cents

-Owen

after extensive searching for a snow machine aplication of 600 CC you can learn alot from that crew. First get a small turbo that spools fast like a TDO2 or TDO1... common on streat bikes or small twin turbo tuners second, (but before you mount this) you can get a stand alone sytem or Exhaust gas tepatures (EGT) and O2 sensor (so you can easily see rich or lean) and boost peramaters... it will run you about 300 bucks to keep you from blowin your moter up! also, be ready for an inner cooler (keep you from melting your pistons) and wire the oil into the turbo and through a cooler, and you HAVE to keep an eye on that.

also you need to see if you are ready for a turbo:

step one, give your closest friend a 100$ bill

step two make him lite it

step three if you hand him another 100 dollar bill, you can have a turbo, but if you flinch i would stay away from them, they get expensive. and if it works? you get major cool factor, but will your belt hold up? what about any old chains?

good luck and you would be my hero if you can make it work

Anything fun or cool is going to be expensive, I learned that quick..... I wasn't angling for forced induction in general, but speciffically a turbo mainly because I don't like belts and there is something about the whistle of a turbo spooling up.....

The turbo I was looking at is a K03 like the one in the video:98-99-00-01-02-03 VW PASSAT 1.8T K03 TURBO CHARGER | eBay It will be a blow through system, most likely using a Kohler 2 barrel carb.

Intercooler is not a problem, it'll go in my duct system for the engine cooling.

I'll gladly take suggestions for what EGT/O2 monitoring system would be best.

Do I really need forged internals? I thought a turbo just moved the air and fuel through quicker not increase the combustion ratio.

Machine will be getting new diamond chains soon.

I would like to eventully try and ditch the belt drive alltogether. IMO a fluid coupling (stand alone torque converter) is the way to go.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

if you are for reall about this buddy, ill give you a hand and even do the math on your 23 HP engine to find how much boost you can run without exceding 9:1 compression. Ill also figure out how much gass you have to use to keep the stochemetric ratio of aobut 14.7:1... let me know

al hodge builds a small block and big block supercharged briggs

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    if you are for reall about this buddy, ill give you a hand and even do the math on your 23 HP engine to find how much boost you can run without exceding 9:1 compression. Ill also figure out how much gass you have to use to keep the stochemetric ratio of aobut 14.7:1... let me know
    I think that at the very least, this would be a good learning experience. I will hopefully be able to finish the fabrication work on my frame by early January, and by then farm work will start back up some so I'll have some money to push this foreward.

My engine is a Kohler CH20

3" bore, 2.6" stroke.

8.5:1 compression.

I plan on adding Mid West Supercub's 2 barrel carb and intake kit, along with heavier valve springs so that I can run higer RPMs.

Thanks for the help!!
    1974 Honda ATC 70

all said and done from what i know i think a guy could make a viable, user friendly low maitnence turbo on a small engine (snow machine, snow mobile, ect) for realitivly cheap. The most important parts are the electronics to tune it! Give me a day or two and ill start crushing numbers. It would be totaly sick if we can get this together, and all the odds and ends together for under a thousand bucks! It is just expensive for the EGT and O2 sensors and displays.... that is probbably half the money. Just make sure to stay away from diesel turbos. also, start looking around for a turbo that has the closest "cc" to your engine so it will spool in a decent amount of time. The turbo you showed didnt have a pop off valve for the waste gate to open, and your going to need that for sure. I would also like to "build" a closed loop fuel injectin system... maybe we shoudl open up a new thread for that one eh? It would rapidly account for changes in altitude, off angle and a bunch of other good things.

if you want inexpensive boost/EGT gauges look at Auber Instruments.
    they are digital, can be set up for a wide array of sending units, and you can get them with an analog output for data logging purposes.

they dont sell an O2 sensor that I know of, but there are lots of good choices for wideband O2.

the real way to figure out how well a turbo will do on a motor is to get ahold of the compressor map, and plot some points based on your motor(usually in LBS of air per hour, and differential pressure ratio)
    if your motor falls into the high efficiency range of the compressor map, you have a good match

I like to look at a few RPM points, where you want to start seeing boost, where you would like to run the motor most of the time, and the highest you will ever rev the motor to.

a poorly sized turbo can behave very poorly, even destroy itself.

+ Reply to Thread