tiers, beadlock

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tiers, beadlock

tiers, beadlock

Myself and hogneck were working with new rims. We cleaned the rims and the rawhidesand painted on black bead lock. I picked up a mini tier changer at harbour frieght. Anyways, we mounted three of the rawhides. Pumped up to10 p.s.I. let sit overnight. The next morning we put them on my Max. Stared to install tracks. The bead on the rear tier broke free. My question is, should the paint be removed from the bead. The black beadlock did not stick to the rim. Only to the tier.

Ive had poor luck with black beadseal. Iv bonded tires to rims with contact cement and had them stay on even flat. The paint will have a better seal than bare metal.

What is your method for using the contact cement? I have two tires to seal the beads on. The black beadsealer did not work for me.

Here's an old thread on using permatex # 80062 as the "contact cement"
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...servicing.html

What are the thoughts on using 3M WINDO-WELD super fast urethane? I only want to do this once. Thanks for input. Update, WINDO-WELD did not stick to tire on test application.
    Last edited by speedycoop; 12-27-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Experimted

I just clean the tires and wheels then seat tire just to the headlock. I've used weldwood contact cement that is brushed on the wheel and tire,both sides, let cure for a couple minutes and seat to the rim. This worked well for me and hope it helps out.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    Myself and hogneck were working with new rims. We cleaned the rims and the rawhidesand painted on black bead lock. I picked up a mini tier changer at harbour frieght. Anyways, we mounted three of the rawhides. Pumped up to10 p.s.I. let sit overnight. The next morning we put them on my Max. Stared to install tracks. The bead on the rear tier broke free. My question is, should the paint be removed from the bead. The black beadlock did not stick to the rim. Only to the tier.
    Buggyman1 hit the nail on the head with his link using contact cement , HI-TACK gasket sealant. made by permatex. RTV is ok but does not glue the tire like this stuff will. Gotta be clean and clean again,tire and rim then set up in the heat for a good amount of time NAPA 4oz can brush on sticky goo.

I have an old set of Terras on wheels that I'm thinking of trying to reuse so this thread has my attention for sure. My question is, how permanent is the HI-TACK bead gluing method? My concern is that if the Terras don't work out and I would find a new tire to fit these 12" wheels, that I would want to be able to get the glue off.

Also with this thought, how permanent is the liquid latex glue that some guys use instead of Slime? I have an opportunity to have these wheels powder coated cheap but don't want to nasty em up too bad if I later want to get rid of the Terras.

Thanks
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

Quote Originally Posted by cclingma View Post
    I have an old set of Terras on wheels that I'm thinking of trying to reuse so this thread has my attention for sure. My question is, how permanent is the HI-TACK bead gluing method? My concern is that if the Terras don't work out and I would find a new tire to fit these 12" wheels, that I would want to be able to get the glue off.

Also with this thought, how permanent is the liquid latex glue that some guys use instead of Slime? I have an opportunity to have these wheels powder coated cheap but don't want to nasty em up too bad if I later want to get rid of the Terras.

Thanks
    not that bad with Hi-tack. just a little harder to clean off the rim.

Just finished HI-TACKing two tires and wheels. Worked like a charm. Lacquer thinner works good for cleanup,did not affect my painted wheels. I would use this method again.

+ Reply to Thread