J-wheelz vs tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: J-wheelz vs tracks

J-wheelz vs tracks

I live in Texas so snow is not an issue for me. I just purchased my first Argo conquest and it will arrive next week. Right now it has new scorpion tires on it and I have the factory run a mucks loose all of the tires are new. I am an avid duck hunter and my Polaris ranger is always getting stuck in the rice fields. Will the tires I have now work for me? I have looked at the tracks and the J-wheels but I wanted to get some feed back. The j-wheels look nice and I like how they do not put added strain on the vehicle and add flotation. The eng game for the Argo is racks to haul decoys and gear plus 4 men and a dog. This will add a good amount of weight to the Argo and I am sure it will effect it's ability to drive across flooded rice fields. I would love to get some advise from you guys.

I think I would just try the tires first and then, if you need more traction, upgrade to tracks. If the rice fields are flooded, then you should be able to just float right across without much of an issue.

I grew up in the Mississippi River Valley in East Arkansas, we had our share of rice fields. Your machine should be more than capable of navigating with decent tires. If you do bog, your comrades should be able to push. I wouldn't worry about it until you determine otherwise.
    I think tracks would be far superior to J-wheelz, I've watched the videos and am not really impressed with that product.

The scorpion tires are not going to swim, put the runamucks on your machine, (Make sure they are installed with the V's backward or they won't swim)if the water is over 18" your machine should be able to swim without a problem unless you get into lower water with very bad mud or weeds that hang the machine up. As Noel said just one man giving a little push should get you through these areas. If you get into water with 12" or less water that could be problem. Remember just because the machine is not moving doesn't mean your stuck, rock it a little giving the machine gas and keep the tires spinning to work your way through these difficult areas, keeping the tires spinning will work almost anywhere but pure mud without water.

Before I loaded up the machine I would take a test run by my self just to make sure there will be no problems
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 12-24-2011 at 01:21 PM.

So it will not go at all in the water with the Scorpions? These are new tires and I hate to pay the money to have them removed to put the factory tires back on for just a mild gain. All 16 of the tires are new but they are the factory size. Would a taller tire with a very aggressive tread like a Gorilla or Vampire be a better tire? Also why does everyone run their tire tread backwards? How does the tire cleans it's tread if your run them in reverse?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me and I do not want to waste money chasing my tail

Quote Originally Posted by crowhater View Post
    These are new tires and I hate to pay the money to have them removed to put the factory tires back on
    I would also hate to change new tires, may be consider a set of standard width swimming tracks.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

[QUOTE=crowhater;106059]So it will not go at all in the water with the Scorpions? These are new tires and I hate to pay the money to have them removed to put the factory tires back on for just a mild gain. All 16 of the tires are new but they are the factory size. Would a taller tire with a very aggressive tread like a Gorilla or Vampire be a better tire? Also why does everyone run their tire tread backwards? How does the tire cleans it's tread if your run them in reverse?

There are only a handful of tires that will swim, We test tires continuously, and I known of a couple of people that tried Scorpions and mentioned they were fine in the mud, but didn't swim. The Gorillas will beat you up, and also don't swim. Vampires do swim, but have a tendency to dig you straight into being stuck. ASX tires swim and mud great but currently aren't available, and they ride rough too. The Runamucks work fine in mud and swim fairly well. The backwards placement of the tire decreases turbulence/drag in the water and allows better tread cleanout in the mud.
    You will have a great time with that machine, its exceptionally well built and capable. We have many Argo experts around so don't be affraid to ask questions.

So the runamucks are the best tire? I have watched YouTube video for the last couple of days trying to learn and it looked like everyone is using some type of aftermarket tire. The runamucks don't look like they have a very deep tread pattern.

Would I be better off buying 8 rims and just mounting my runamucks? Breaking down 8 tires and mounting 8 tires is a pian in the BUTT! What about just dualing the tires?

This is just my opinion, but if you are wanting to run tires, I think the 24" Frontier Tires are the best option for the conditions you describe. VERY similar to the Runasucks, but deeper lugs and larger diameter.
    If you want to try tracks, the 24" Frontier tires are too big, and you would be best to keep the set of Runasucks.

Dueling the tires might be an option, and if it was me, I would like to try putting the 24"Frontiers on with the Runasucks as the duels. Just a thought.

RD

So what size are the Argo rims? I know they are 8" but what size is the bolt pattern? What is a good price per each for the rims? I would rather just mount my second set of tires instead of switching tires over.

My kids are very excited to take the Argo intomthe pond will it go at all on the water with the scorpion tires, I don't want to get stranded.

+ Reply to Thread