Outer Bearing HC206-19R3

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outer Bearing HC206-19R3

Outer Bearing HC206-19R3

When I removed the existing bearings. Each one came out with an "O" ring. The new replacement bearings I have also have a groove around the bearing housing just as the originals did.

The above is an original "O" ring and a new bearing.
    Below is the groove Im questioning.

I took the liberty of placing the "O" ring on the bearing below. Has anyone else installed bearings with the "O" rings? Or did you install your bearings with the groove open like that above?

Where the axle passes through the bearing (arrow pointing to the edge) Should I apply silicone to keep water from passing through?

A. These are the only two holes in the groove. When I install the bearing. Should these be pointing any particular way?

B. The original bearings had this groove with an "O" ring.

C. What's the purpose of this?

RJ

I didnt think they did but my new bearings actually have the same groove on my 980. They did not come with o rings nor can I remember there being any on the old set.
    Last edited by highrollinmopars; 12-26-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Leave the oring off. That groove allows grease to travel around the flange and into the bearing through either one of the two holes. Position one of the holes so that it lines up with the grease zerk on your greasable flange. Take a pair of dikes / wire cutters and grip the piece of metal you have circled as "C". Wiggle it back and forth until it comes out and leave it out. Silicone is not necessary between the inner race and the axle.

Finally, watch the Max II Bearing Replacement video. While it is a different 6 wheeler, similar principles apply: Max II Bearing Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by zoood View Post
    When I removed the existing bearings. Each one came out with an "O" ring. The new replacement bearings I have also have a groove around the bearing housing just as the originals did.

The above is an original "O" ring and a new bearing.
    Below is the groove Im questioning.

I took the liberty of placing the "O" ring on the bearing below. Has anyone else installed bearings with the "O" rings? Or did you install your bearings with the groove open like that above?

Where the axle passes through the bearing (arrow pointing to the edge) Should I apply silicone to keep water from passing through?

A. These are the only two holes in the groove. When I install the bearing. Should these be pointing any particular way?

B. The original bearings had this groove with an "O" ring.

C. What's the purpose of this?

RJ
    When I did my bearings they looked just like the above, but no o-ring. From what I believe is that the channel is for grease to get around the bearing when you pump in grease from the zerg.

Do not use silicone on the inside to seal the axle on the bearing, use anti-seize compound on the axle when you re-install everything. The compound will seal the center up.

Install the bearing so that the locking collar is to the outside of your hustler. The bearing will have a slight elliptical shape to the outer race for the locking collar.

Mike you beat me to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan67 View Post
    When I did my bearings they looked just like the above, but no o-ring. From what I believe is that the channel is for grease to get around the bearing when you pump in grease from the zerg.

Do not use silicone on the inside to seal the axle on the bearing, use anti-seize compound on the axle when you re-install everything. The compound will seal the center up.

Install the bearing so that the locking collar is to the outside of your hustler. The bearing will have a slight elliptical shape to the outer race for the locking collar.

Mike you beat me to it..
    Dan, are you sure about that? I'm just asking to be positive. Because when I removed them. The locking collar was on the inside of the tub.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by zoood View Post
    Dan, are you sure about that? I'm just asking to be positive. Because when I removed them. The locking collar was on the inside of the tub.

RJ
    Yup, when I did mine the original collars where to the outside on the outer bearings. The inner bearing collar was on the inside of the center channel. For good measure I added a third locking collar, the clamp style 1-bolt on the inside of the outer bearing. When I did mine I asked several members and they guided me the way I did it. I got the 6 1-bolt clamping style from McMaster-Carr #6435K49 1-3/16".

Inner Bearing MAX-UC 205 16

The inner bearings have a groove and 2 holes with in it, just as the outer bearings do. But there is no grease zerk. Do I leave these as they are? Or do I apply grease in between the flanges before tightening them with the bearing to the frame?

RJ

Yes, if the inner bearing flange does not have a grease zerg, go nuts with the grease. Pack it full.

If I were you, I would purchase flanges with a grease zerk in them for the inner bearings before you install them. They are very cheap and will help prolong the life of your bearings by allowing you to grease them regularly.

Mike do you know if McMaster-Carr has the flanges with the zerk for those inner bearings?

+ Reply to Thread