Thoughts on Track Paddles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Track Paddles

Thoughts on Track Paddles

What are your thoughts on the best sizes for track paddles? Mud/Snow? Why?
    I have 4 sets of tracks, but unfortunatly they are all different and can not be fairly compared to each other

I'm sure there is no PERFECT Paddle, but here's what I'm thinking:
    In Muddy conditions, perhaps a deeper paddle will be best, say around 1.5" or so. The extra length might help reach through the top layer of slimey mud and still be able to bite into something with a little substance below

In swimming conditions, A larger paddle is desireable, but only if you have an "Open Track" design. My "Closed Tracks" suck in the water, no matter what size paddles they have.

In Snow, I'm leaning toward a Medium depth paddle, maybe 3/4". I feel that my "Low Paddle" rubber tracks (Maybe 1/4") spin out too easily in compacted snow, but if you do spin out, it's no big deal, just back up and try again. If I spin out with my deeper Paddled Adair Tracks, then the large paddles dig big holes very fast and leave a mountian behind the machine. That makes it harder to take another run at that spot.

Now we all know that bigger paddles work better on snowmobiles, but that has more to do with track speed than track traction. So, with our "slow speed" tracks, what do you think would be optimum paddle sizes for different conditions.

I would be interested in hearing from smog (Or anyone else that might have Deep and Shallow Lug experience), to see if he has noticed a big difference between his 1.5" rubber track paddles compared to a 3/4" paddled track. Do the larger paddles work better, or do they just shovel more snow out from under the machine in powder? In hardpack snow, is it nesessary to chew 1.5" into the snow, or would 3/4" be enough? Do the deeper lugs chew up the trail more, making it harder and harder for each successive machine to climb the hills?

Thoughts welcome
    RD

on hardpack, there shouldn't be any difference. The main advantage is in deep snow where the lugs just plant in the snow providing a lot of traction but I can't let them DIG as it will get the Max stuck a lot faster. So while climbing, the lugs make the max cling to the snow.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    on hardpack, there shouldn't be any difference. The main advantage is in deep snow where the lugs just plant in the snow providing a lot of traction but I can't let them DIG as it will get the Max stuck a lot faster. So while climbing, the lugs make the max cling to the snow.
    Do any of the guys you ride with have Homemade tracks like yours, but with smaller paddles? Snow consistency might be key here, if the snow is a little sticky, and will pack together then I can see larger paddles being a BIG advantage. What about snow that has the consistancy of "Coarse Salt", very dry crystals that will NOT cling together? (Most of the snow I ride in is like this, it can NOT be packed down, but will "Set Up" if disturbed and then left for an hour). I guess it's like riding on a "Zillion" marbles, staying on top and driving around are no problem. Trying to climb a hill is harder, will 1.5" lugs take you further up then 3/4" lugs, and why?

RD

on the 14th I will have a ride along other members. All kind of tracks will be there including one made with regular .75" snowmobile tracks.

I will do every test possible including the hill climbing test!!!

RD - I have absolutely no experience with homemade tracks from but if I were to get serious about it I'd sure be looking at the 1 1/4" tracks that skidoo puts on their 2006 model 550 expedition. They are not a true "paddle" track and I think the lugs would be stiffer than a paddle track. That would probably help force the track to bite in with when on hard pack snow or in the summer.

the polaris RMK paddle track s stiff enough so the AATV weight is not enough to bend the lugs

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    on the 14th I will have a ride along other members. All kind of tracks will be there including one made with regular .75" snowmobile tracks.

I will do every test possible including the hill climbing test!!!
    Thanks smog, looking forward to your comments
    Can you tell me how tall the paddles are on the 20" RSB Tracks?

RD

I will ask on the French-Canadian forum and report it here.

Went for a ride this morning. the tracks are doing the job climbing on hard crust / coarse salt type snow. I thing the deep lugs are good for the eastern snow conditions.

RD, can you tell me the pricing for the snow extensions on the Adair ?

Hey RD. Just posted a bit about my experience the other day. Dan has paddles on his tracks made from what I think is 1.5 inch angle. He stuck in pretty much everything. Perhaps the thickness of the paddle makes a difference too.

[Edit] Just read that after a couple days. Dan didn't get "stuck" in everything but his tracks didn't spin in the snow so he could drive everywhere. Poor choice of wording there...
    Last edited by JohnF; 01-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hey RD. Just posted a bit about my experience the other day. Dan has paddles on his tracks made from what I think is 1.5 inch angle. He stuck in pretty much everything. Perhaps the thickness of the paddle makes a difference too.
    Thanks John, I found it

Sorry smog, I did some "Horse Trading" with The Man at Adair. I might have gotten a little carried away, but either way, it doesn't work out in Dollars and Cents.
    I'm sure that a quick call would get you the results you are looking for though, the guys at Adair are very friendly and easy to talk to.

RD

+ Reply to Thread