What are your thoughts on the best sizes for track paddles? Mud/Snow? Why?
I have 4 sets of tracks, but unfortunatly they are all different and can not be fairly compared to each other

I'm sure there is no PERFECT Paddle, but here's what I'm thinking:
In Muddy conditions, perhaps a deeper paddle will be best, say around 1.5" or so. The extra length might help reach through the top layer of slimey mud and still be able to bite into something with a little substance below

In swimming conditions, A larger paddle is desireable, but only if you have an "Open Track" design. My "Closed Tracks" suck in the water, no matter what size paddles they have.

In Snow, I'm leaning toward a Medium depth paddle, maybe 3/4". I feel that my "Low Paddle" rubber tracks (Maybe 1/4") spin out too easily in compacted snow, but if you do spin out, it's no big deal, just back up and try again. If I spin out with my deeper Paddled Adair Tracks, then the large paddles dig big holes very fast and leave a mountian behind the machine. That makes it harder to take another run at that spot.

Now we all know that bigger paddles work better on snowmobiles, but that has more to do with track speed than track traction. So, with our "slow speed" tracks, what do you think would be optimum paddle sizes for different conditions.

I would be interested in hearing from smog (Or anyone else that might have Deep and Shallow Lug experience), to see if he has noticed a big difference between his 1.5" rubber track paddles compared to a 3/4" paddled track. Do the larger paddles work better, or do they just shovel more snow out from under the machine in powder? In hardpack snow, is it nesessary to chew 1.5" into the snow, or would 3/4" be enough? Do the deeper lugs chew up the trail more, making it harder and harder for each successive machine to climb the hills?

Thoughts welcome
RD