Briggs Vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Briggs Vanguard

Briggs Vanguard

Looking to see if anyone has had this problem? I installed an 18 hp Briggs in a Max 11,[ it was a used engine that I picked up], I started the engine and run it for about 2 minutes, just to check belt alignment and everything. As I let the engine sit and idle after checking it all, it seized up. That was about a week ago. When I went to rob a couple of parts from it today, it turns over quite freely. My thoughts are a faulty oil pump, but any other suggestions of what else to check are appreciated. And by the way, Thanks to JPSWIFT I do have another engine to put into it.
    Gregg V

Pull the shroud and flywheel. look to see if the starter gear jammed up, or if something stuck in the magnets on the back side of the flywheel. I see that quite often on lawn mower engines
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Could have a carb issue. Maybe a bad float needle. If the float needle is bad it wont regulate the flow properly which will dump an excessive amount of fuel into the cylinders causing a "hydro-lock" situation. From sitting for a week the fuel will leak by ring end gaps allowing the motor to turn free again. Carbs are not hard to work on just make sure you get all your gaskets airtight.

hi
    briggs twins do sieze up and unfortunately it is more common than it should be .
    In your case the big end of the conrod may be getting tight on the crank journal. The spec for clearance is .001 thru .005 .
    Although it does not sound like your issue the oil pumps can also sieze up causing engine explosion .
    Basically strip and check all clearances .

tomo

sounds like a hydrolock...my 16hp has done that before

+ Reply to Thread