1980 Hustler/Sidewinder build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Hustler/Sidewinder build

I was starting to experience the same thing. Matter-o-fact my pressure washer and my lawn mower were all acting the same. Turns out it was crappy gas. TC,... make sure the vent on your gas cap is clear. That will cause the symptoms your experiencing.

Zoood,

All the fuel system has been replaced or checked out ok......new fuel, fuel line. pump electric fuel pump and I went thru the carb......I am going to rebuild the carb as soon as the kit gets here. I don,t think the carb is my problem because it runs great till it gets hot....I am leaning towards replacing the coil....I have read and heard that when the coils are weak ..HEAT makes them act up.....I am also going to heat wrap all of the exhaust and attach an air duct to the exhaust to help more the heat out the back of the rig when moving.....Let me know if you think I am on the right track......Thanks

I forgot about the characteristics of a coil thats heading south. That would do what your saying is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlecrawler View Post
    Zoood,

All the fuel system has been replaced or checked out ok......new fuel, fuel line. pump electric fuel pump and I went thru the carb......I am going to rebuild the carb as soon as the kit gets here. I don,t think the carb is my problem because it runs great till it gets hot....I am leaning towards replacing the coil....I have read and heard that when the coils are weak ..HEAT makes them act up.....I am also going to heat wrap all of the exhaust and attach an air duct to the exhaust to help more the heat out the back of the rig when moving.....Let me know if you think I am on the right track......Thanks

Well....while I was waiting for the carb kit and new coil I decided to make this little rig quiet as a mouse for hunting......lol.. I added an extension to the factory exhaust..( which is removable ).. It is made with 2.5 inch outside tubing with a 1.5 dia. baffel inside. The baffel is coved with SS steel wool and welded inside the 2.5in outer tube. It has little to none backpressure so it should not effect the performance I hope...He are some pics ( paint is still drying) and I will let you all know how its works when I get the rig running next week..

2012-04-01_13-29-15_128.jpg2012-04-01_13-29-28_739.jpg2012-04-01_13-29-44_397.jpg

Good idea. That ought to keep the noise down, plus it looks killer! I may have to make something similar for my Hustler...
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Thanks Stonewall,

The rig is now up and running..rebuilt carb and final tuning complete...Taking it out this weekend for some testing before hunting season...

That looks great,I like the rear winch mount and exhaust and all the other mods you have done.I know you are ready to test it out.

Well the trip up the mountain had its ups and downs. No major problems just working out the rest of the bugs before hunting season. I was up there with two friends on quads and had no problems going where they want to go and then some. I did have some carb issues...the air/fuel screw had a bad leak around it so I could not get the hustler to open up (rpm's) when it was in gear. I was able to fix the problem once I got it home. Did a couple more adjustments to different things and hope to take it back out this weekend.

I have a couple of questions....
    1. what is the best way to tune the briggs 18hp for higher elevations ( 9,000-10,500 ft) I live at 5500 ft and it runs great at home..

2.what are the highest rpm's can this briggs take...I adjusted the govenor so I could get the (Oh crap power if needed) not that I plan the rev it most of the time . I do have a tach on it and plan to keep it under 4,000 rpms.

test drive1.jpgtest drive 2.jpg
    Last edited by turtlecrawler; 10-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.

be very careful with the stee wool exhaust. I can get REALLY hot and fall out and start a fire if conditons are right. Easy fix by getting the exhaust off of a dirt bike and using a few spark arrester peices from that WAY COOL DUDE!

Looks good! Sounds like a pretty successful outing......as with any build there will always be some minor bugs to work out, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult. Again, nice work on the build!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread