1980 Hustler/Sidewinder build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 Hustler/Sidewinder build

If you plan on running tracks on that machine you can't go any larger than 21" tires, and you'll have to have wheel spacers. Is there enough of your drive belt left to get a part number?

You should go ahead and go through the T-20, they are pretty simple, and Mike's guide in the articles section makes it a breeze. You can call Recreatives Industries and get any parts you need for it. At the very least you should put in new seals, gaskets, o-rings, and fiber thrust washers.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Stonewall....The tranny is going to get a once over......I have seen Mike's post and will use them as a guide.....with any luck...gaskets, seals, o-rings and thrust washers is all it will need....I will have to do some more searching so I can tell if anything else is wrong with it when I open it up.... As for the drive belt I will have to do some looking.......
    Last edited by turtlecrawler; 01-08-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Engine and tranny comming out in the morning....Will try to pull the axles tonight...Does any one have tips on removing old paint off the upper shell ?????

2012-01-06_14-34-50_469.jpg
    Attached Images

Paint remover. no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by kpike52 View Post
    Paint remover. no joke.
    Mr. Pike's right. HDPE holds up really well to most chemicals for at least a little while. Paint thinner, mineral spirits, acetone, Graffitti-off (or whatever it's called.... sold at most Lowes/Home Depot) all do an OK job. Different paints respond differently to different removal techniques. After you begin to get the paint off, the poly may acquire a light "haze", or appears to have faded a bit. A good dollop of WD-40 on a rag brings the shine right back.

Cool looking project...

Thanks for the tips guys.....As soon as I get the engine out today I will start on paint removal.....pics to follow...

Major Teardown begins..

Engine out today...Removed all the chains ( what a pain in the ***). Finished re-inforcing the trailer hitch and built the front bumper with winch mount....Not sure I like the front bumper might thing about re-doing it before I post pics of the bumper. Started pulling axles.....both of my bearing keepers (collars) are on the inside of the 950. Some of them appear missing. Got one axle out and letting the other ones soak till tomorrow...hopefully they will come out eaiser then the first one did today..2012-01-12_11-45-05_87.jpg2012-01-12_11-44-30_752.jpg2012-01-12_11-58-32_744.jpg2012-01-12_12-24-32_68.jpg2012-01-12_11-58-23_161.jpg

A couple more pics.......Does anyone know if the drive bell on this engine is factory ? The belt is ribbed,,,but the drive bell is not......Is that normal ?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by turtlecrawler; 01-12-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Most belts are ribbed now-adays. I'm not sure if it's to aid in cooling (some are ribbed on both sides) or to help the belt grip the clutches. They're not "cogged" belts, so to speak. I can't say that your Comet clutch is original, but it might be an upgrade from a Salisbury clutch.

Hydromike.....I guess I just don't know much about these types of clutches.....How can one tell if the clutch is good or bad ......Either the one one the engine or the one on the tranny, When I brought this rig home the tranny mount needed work ...That being said the belt sat deep in the clutcth on the tranny...Sound it not be near the top when it is not moving ?????

+ Reply to Thread