street bike motor powerplant

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: street bike motor powerplant

street bike motor powerplant

why have i never heard of putting a street bike motor in one and have 12 diff speeds be unlimited low end torq for the tracks im getting ready to take on such a project a ninja 500 ex water cooled powerplant is going in my 97 argo conquest open for suggestions

An engine with lots of low end torgue is more suitable for an amphib , not a higher reving hp motor. Even with lots of gears you,d still need to shift all of the time in the places you'd take an amphib.

The only thing to remember is an argo trany is just like a Wrangler meaning they are built more for crowling then speed. If you are going for speed why not pull the engine and the tranny out of the bike and try going that rout

Member Duke had a motorcycle engine in his Gyp Sea. It was a honda atc 200, think it was a 200s.

Personally, I would never go that route with the transmission anyways. I just think you would spend to much time shifting it all the time. Foot shift or hand shift, plus clutch and gas, plus stick control would just be a pain. Foot controls are some what a pain to begin with because of bouncing around and loosing your foot position on the pedals. Being able to move around in the seat or stand, etc... and control it with just the sticks is sometimes very helpful when your on a hill, in the water for balance or stuck trying to positon for more traction in the right spot. If you have to have your feet planted in a possition to drive it, it would make some situations really hard to get out of I would think. CVT setup works real good in these machines. I would see if there is a way to eliminate or gut the transmission out and put a CVT drive clutch on the crank some how.

snowmobile engine is the way to go for reliability and performance

Someone had a Honda CB 600 engine that they put in a Ramco Retriever too.....they might have had it on the site at one time. I remember seeing it on ebay a time or two as well. As Larry said, I wouldn't go that route either. Just stick to a snowmobile engine, or V-twin 4 stroke. Both have their advantages, and both will make for a good power plant for your AATV.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    snowmobile engine is the way to go for reliability and performance

bad Idea, been there...trial by error and lived to tell...
    Last edited by fasteddiesllc; 01-16-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: pic didn't come through

+ Reply to Thread