Another resurrected Hustler...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another resurrected Hustler...

Another resurrected Hustler...

Well I am officially a 6x6 owner as of today. I picked up this project for $100, and had to drive about an hour to get it. It has no engine, one broken axle (Right Rear), and a bad case of rusty frame. I'm hoping that some of you will be able to tell me what model it is, as well as how to find the year (I'm sure there is a serial number on it somewhere). The original engine was a single cylinder Kohler 4 stroke. This is going to be a frame-out job, with all new chains and bearings.
    Attached Images

I think that the models with the Kohler K341 (the 4 stroke single you speak of...) were the 950 and the 945. I don't know how to tell the difference, but your frame is different from my 950. It's probably an earlier model that had the yellow K341. I happen to have a K341 I'll sell you if you want one, I'm about an hour and a half from Memphis. Is that set up for a split shift? Could you post up some more pictures of the shift linkage?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

The original engine is yellow, so it could be the K341. What was the HP rating on that? I would like to run around 18hp. Here are a few more pics of the shift linkage, as well as the broken axle. Yes, it is set up for split shift; I was surprised to see that.
    Attached Images

Hazard85......Nice project you have there.....I do believe you beat me in the rust department but I think we might call it even after all the grease, oil, mud ,trees, leaves and critters I am cleaning out of my little rig.......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard85 View Post
    The original engine is yellow, so it could be the K341. What was the HP rating on that? I would like to run around 18hp. Here are a few more pics of the shift linkage, as well as the broken axle. Yes, it is set up for split shift; I was surprised to see that.

I,m pretty sure that the yellow engine is a 16 hp model.

Haha yeah we'll call it even. How capable would it be with the original 16hp? The PO still has the original engine; he removed it to power a welder, but never did.

Mudbug is right, the K341s (both yellow and red) are 16 HP stock. There are some pretty slick performance mods out there though...
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

I'm pretty sure there is a way to coax 2hp out of a K341...

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard85 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a way to coax 2hp out of a K341...
    There certainly is. 6X6World member, Meinfeld ran a K341 Kohler in his Hustler 980 BIGFOOT for a little while. He built it up a little and I believe it was somewhere in the 20HP range, so it's certainly do-able.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I have read a few posts about people going from 21x11x8 tires to sizes up to 25". I'm guessing this will work on mine? There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance, though. I'll have to replace my 8" rims with 9"...any suggestions?
    19?? Hustler 930 Frame-out resto in progress!
    2009 Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
    2003 Honda VTX1800S
    1982 Ford F-150 4x4 351W
    2009 Ford Ranger

Do I have too many toys?...NAH!!

+ Reply to Thread