18 hp kohler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18 hp kohler

18 hp kohler

Motor will start and run but backfires and won't idle also does not want to go in high gear bogs down. What could this be? Just cleaned carb and new plugs any ideals?

Quote Originally Posted by jmart045 View Post
    Motor will start and run but backfires and won't idle also does not want to go in high gear bogs down. What could this be? Just cleaned carb and new plugs any ideals?
    Replace the ignition coil.N.C.T

Don't really know the answer for you but:

Is it a backfire or afterfire? Backfire will shoot flames out the carb and generally indicate something wrong in the timing - like you have an open intake valve at the point of ignition, or hot spots in the cylinders (like maybe from running lean) that ignite the fuel mixture before the valves close.
    Afterfire is raw fuel/air getting dumped through the exhaust and igniting off of a hot spot in the muffler.

If backfire I would first guess running too lean if afterfire I would look into ignition.

Next: Did it have this symptom before the carb rebuild and before the new plugs or is this new since then?

I don't know this engine at all but my first inclination would be to follow NCT's advice and test that you are getting spark. One way is to take another spark plug and for each cylinder (while engine off) pull the plug wire and attach to extra plug, lay plug on engine so as to ground it, crank engine to see if you see (or hear) a spark. Another way, and a favorite of a farmer local to the family ranch, is to take your pliers and pull the plug wire while the engine is running and watch for sparks to jump from your belly to the vehicle. I think that one hurts but that guy thinks it's funny.

Check your fuel pump and the pulse line and fuel filter, the ethanol in gasoline is hard on fuel systems.Doesn't sound like ignition to me, even with a weak spark it should idle at least roughly and act up when you try to give it throttle.
    Last edited by Joe H; 01-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread