Axle support to prevent bending

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle support to prevent bending

Axle support to prevent bending

Since I seem to have another bent axle on the AMPhibian, one of my new ones, I expect with all the battery weight I'll probably be getting more. Was thinking of ways to space the outer bearing further out from the tub closer to the wheel to help prevent this in the future. I have some ideas but figured someone here probably already did something similar so I thought I'd check before I wasted too much time on a bad concept. Basically I'm thinking of a 3-4 inch or so spacer with an angled support going back to the tub, with either a brace inside or a plate coming up from the current bearing mounting flange area. Or using another bearing further out on the axle with a support
    Attached Images

The original attex adaptor hubs have a steel cylinder that is welded to them and butts up against the inside plate of the 3 lug hub. This cylinder adds support and strength to the axle itself. You could make you own cylinders and weld them on the the adaptor plates ensuring the length is correct to press against that inner ring on the hub. I've considered even welding the adaptor on and using angle instead of a cylinder. maybe 4pieces per hub and making sure you can still access the hub bolts.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Do you have a link to a picture of these adapter hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    Since I seem to have another bent axle on the AMPhibian, one of my new ones, I expect with all the battery weight I'll probably be getting more. Was thinking of ways to space the outer bearing further out from the tub closer to the wheel to help prevent this in the future. I have some ideas but figured someone here probably already did something similar so I thought I'd check before I wasted too much time on a bad concept. Basically I'm thinking of a 3-4 inch or so spacer with an angled support going back to the tub, with either a brace inside or a plate coming up from the current bearing mounting flange area. Or using another bearing further out on the axle with a support
    I had pondered doing exactly what your talking about on my wild wolf, but went with 1 1/4 axles instead. My plan was to add a 3rd bearing out close to the wheel with a plate tying all 3 together, then braces running up the the tub where it goes from vertical to horizontal. you might also look into just building a set of Max type bearing cages. Hopefully someone can post or link a pic of one removed from the machine so you can see how they are built... a quick gallery search didn't turn up the pic I was thinking of
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I see that Argo's have a bearing cage:

the cheapest solution is probbably to weld fins from the axel flange (betwene every bolt) and down the axel shafts. i know that guys with maxes that have the hollow tubes do this the most expensive solution is to get the argo axels you can get the new 2012 argo bearings, cages, axels and seals for about 330, just search the site for a link

+ Reply to Thread