skid loader tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: skid loader tracks?

skid loader tracks?

I was just paging through my auto and RV book and came across this add that has got me wondering if it would work. These guys are making tracks for skid loaders connected with chain starting at $690 or you could get bigger chain for 8somethin...has got me wondering if it would work as a "poor mans track"...if anything it looks pretty simple, maybe able to fab that in the garage if you had the time patience and a metal break. Looks like you just bend the metal to fit your tire and weld it to everyother chain link...wish i could post the picture i have here on my desk

heres the site
    EEL RIVER STEELWORKS, INC.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyM View Post
    .wish i could post the picture i have here on my desk
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

yea there it is! I dont see how that design wouldnt work and where one couldnt make that in their garage...would just take a hell of a lot of bending, but probably not much more time than making snowmobile tracks work

you can get a bender that bends flatbar for under a hundred bucks probably 5 mins to make one section I like the simpleness of it just the weight factor

I wonder how much weight it would add to the machine would it still float or be to heavy?

I would think they would be similar to escargo tracks in terms of wieght

I think that if you don't plan on swimming this would be a great setup. The weight of these tracks would hold you to the ground for better traction. A set with half as many grousers as Smog's picture, with some angle iron welded across each grouser would probably be unstoppable in the mud!
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

If I were to do that I would go amphicat style and use rubber straps. It would be easier and lighter.

These look VERY heavy and I'd be worried about the extra strain they'd put on the bearings. I'd do what Larry W said and go with Amphicat style tracks that use chains on the sides and rubber conveyor belt type strapping that goes over the wheels.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

instead of conveyor belt could you use bed mats out of the back of a truck, you can pick up used ones on craigslist all day long...or a low lit car lot would the extra thickness of a bed mat be any better or be more of a hassle with the limited flexibility...either way im interested in givin this a shot...when i have money, i dont think it would be that expensive to do

+ Reply to Thread