Gas/oil mix?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas/oil mix?

Gas/oil mix?

What was the original ratio for the Kohler 440 single carb?The person I bought this off of did not know a lot about the machine?

What is the approximate year of that motor?

I am a bit confused because it seams Kohler made a four stroke engine that size. MY friends has an old Arctic Cat Lynx 1971 sled with a 440 four stroke no oil mixed in the gas on that one .If yours is a two stroke I would need to know the approximate year. It looks like really old ones were a High oil mix like 20:1, 32:1 and newer ones are 50:1. The highest oil mix I have ever seen was 16:1 on a Jiger JLO 8hp and a weed trimmer.

You would be safe with 32:1 but it may be hard to start and very smokey
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 02-12-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

The mid to late 70's Kohler 440's were two stroke and they came in a few different makes and models of AATVs including Hustlers. I'm not 100% sure on a mix that would work for you. I do know that you would want to slightly change your mix depending on when you're driving the machine, either in the summer or the winter. You would probably want to talk to either Don, Hydromike, or Kevin31 on this one and they could certainly point you in the right direction (Kevin and Don both have 440 Kohlers in their Hustlers).
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I think his machine is a late 70's Big Max. I'd try running it 20 to 1. You may foul some plugs but you won't burn up the engine.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Kohler 2-strokes (mine was toast when I got the Hustler), but I've run the Kawasaki, JLO (Cuyuna), and Xenoah on more modern synthetic oils at 40:1 and 50:1 with no problems. The only time you need to run petroleum oil is when breaking in new rings. The new rings don't seem to seat well using the more slippery synthetics.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Both the D/stock (440 Cuyuna) and the 503R (503 Rotax) hum happily along at 6000 rpm with 40:1 synthetic/petroleum blends. Some oils are completely smokeless at those ratios, so don't fret not seeing all the belching blue smoke that you may be accustomed to. They still smell really, really nice though....

~m

Well i have used a few different mixes. i am currently (well was running) at 45:1. It smoked like crazy for about 1 mi. till it warmed up, then it is smokeless. I think the oil i am using is called Golden Spectro. (i could be wrong) If that helps let me know- i am redoing my exhaust right now, so i havent run it for a while, but when i was running at 45:1, it was running good. If you have any more questions about the Kohler 440, let me know. -Kevin

Oooooo, I use the Spectro too, Kevin. I love it! Once the EGT gets up to normal operating temp, my machines are smokeless. I've been very, very happy with it.

~m

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Oooooo, I use the Spectro too, Kevin. I love it! Once the EGT gets up to normal operating temp, my machines are smokeless. I've been very, very happy with it.

~m

Yeah- its a great oil!

+ Reply to Thread