Gear drive track system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear drive track system

Gear drive track system

Has anyone tried a gear drive track system like a tank or dozer? I could think of a design or two but wasnt sure if someone has done it.
    Road? What road? I blaze my own trail!!!

....like replacing the wheels and tires with cogs that drive a track? To date, I don't know if anyone has but I've had mental pictures of just such a setup bouncing around in my head for years. It wouldn't be that hard, but the amphibious quality might be hurt a bit with the cogged-driven (e.g., Bobcat) tracks that are out there.

Give us your ideas...

If someone tried that, id sure like to see a picture! thatd be cool! I still like the track set up my dad had on his max when I was a kid, theres a picture of one in the gallery somewhere. had the tubes on either end of the tub to support the tracks, but that thing was said to be unstoppable since the tracks extended forward of the tub so much

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyM View Post
    If someone tried that, id sure like to see a picture! thatd be cool! I still like the track set up my dad had on his max when I was a kid, theres a picture of one in the gallery somewhere. had the tubes on either end of the tub to support the tracks, but that thing was said to be unstoppable since the tracks extended forward of the tub so much
    I think you're refering to the very first track system that Recreatives put out on the Max II. There was a Max II with that track system that popped up for sale a time or two in New Jersey on Ebay. I think A 6X6World member ended up getting it.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    ....like replacing the wheels and tires with cogs that drive a track? To date, I don't know if anyone has but I've had mental pictures of just such a setup bouncing around in my head for years. It wouldn't be that hard, but the amphibious quality might be hurt a bit with the cogged-driven (e.g., Bobcat) tracks that are out there.

Give us your ideas...
    Exactly! Would require a bit of fab to ensure stability and perhaps a few doner snowmobiles.
    Road? What road? I blaze my own trail!!!

I thought about this type of setup as well. It would require some type of undercarrage for lower bogie sets if you wanted decent ground clearance. Suspension could also be incorporated into a track system like this.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    It would require some type of undercarrage for lower bogie sets if you wanted decent ground clearance. Suspension could also be incorporated into a track system like this.
    At that point, you're basically throwing a Cushman Trackster's tracks underneath an amphib. The mental image gives me goosebumps. Why couldn't you just take the entire bogie suspension out of two old sleds and put them under each side of an AATV? On something like a four chain attex machine, you could use the front axle as a rigid mount for the suspension and drive the track system with the center and rear wheel on each side. You could also incorporate part of the suspension mount into the area where the bearing flanges bolt to the frame. Something along the lines of an extension of the Max IV bearing extensions that they currently use for the track setup.

I knew I rembered seeing something like this a while back:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/autom...trackster.html
    Attached Images
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Using a snowcat as a model, I think you could get a system like this done pretty easy. You need the snowcat style tracks that have cogs that fit a sprocket on the front or rear axle and use a track tuner type device to turn all the other axles into bogie wheels.

you can get waterjet cut HDPE with the required "sprocket teeth" and you can built the tracks with baler belts and angle iron/aluminium

Round Baler Belts

2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread