Avenger Maintenance

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avenger Maintenance

Avenger Maintenance

We use an Argo Avenger EFI for shoreline surveys and am finding the maintenance of the forward most set of inner axle bearings impossible to reach. Any suggestions? Also, what is the best way to jack up an 8 wheeler? Thanks.

I haven't seen the insides of an avenger so can't answer the maintenance question.

For jacking I've seen a forklift used. I don't have that option.

I use a floor jack - put a 2x6 that measures lengthwise the width of the argo on the jack just under one end. Jack it up. Then I have pieces of 3/4 inch plywood notched so that together they for a X that I put under each end of the 2x6. Same thing on the other end.

Got the idea from something I built for my truck camper - looks like this.

I made mine a little too short because in certain places with full air in the tires they kind of skid the driveway. Just want to make sure that the overall height is less than the footprint for stability.

Johns way is a good one.
    Personally I usually get lazy about it. I just jack up the front with a floorjack, stick a jackstand under each front corner, then I move to the back and lift under the hitch receiver with the floorjack untill I have the tires off the floor. Not the best way to do it, probably not even a good way, but that's usually what I do.

Friend of mine has a great motorcycle lift, that fits between the tires. He just drives the machine over it, apply's some air pressure, and the table lifts his Avenger off the ground. Totally supported over the whole bottom of the machine

RD

I've always thought about a ramp sort-a thing that would life the back axels off the ground with a little semicircle at the top so the axels would sit in it... then for the front get something like the use if formula one racing. Simple lever/fulcrum jack to lift the front axels. I'll see if i can draw a pic sometime.

Thank you for your responses. In a separate conversation, someone suggested the use of an extra long pallet truck (72-96"). Roll underneath and raise several inches. I wouls suspect you need to raise the forks several inches since most pallet trucks only have a 5 inch lift. They also stated that you could move the UTV around the garage as well. Any additional thoughts? What about reaching the forward bearings, under the engine mounts to grease, any suggestions? Thanks again.

If I had a pallet truck I would certainly try it. I think 5 in. would be plenty; just need blocking so that you get as much of that 5 in. as you can.

On quick stuff I've done as Rock Doctor and blocked the front and then just leave the jack under the receiver.

Use a long pallet jack with 4x4 across the lift arms on the raised portion of the machine. This is how we move them about.

I have seen many things used to hoist up an Argo, you and buy a MotorCycle Jack from Cosct for $250 bucks..

If you have deeper pockets you can use a MotorCycle Hydralic lift, the profile is low, just pull the Argo over it and jack away. $1,200

The dealers use 1/2 of a car lift, this is the most robust and costly solution $3,000...

I have added some pics for your reference
    Attached Images

When I bought my machine the previous owner had removed the front inner axle flange grease nipples and attached a short piece of copper tubing which comes back to the idler shafts with grease nipple on the end. Easily reachable with the grease gun. Good luck.

I considered snowmobile lifts, motorcycle lifts and palletjacks and finally settled on 2 ways that work well depending on what I"m doing.

For working on the vehicle I use a 2x6 under front and rear axles and jack it up with a floor jack putting jack stands on each side of the frame. This is very solid.

For parking the vehicle for any length of time I use 2 small motorcycle lifts (link) under each of the 2x6. I can raise and lower these jacks with my impact driver so it's very fast.

+ Reply to Thread