@001 MAX IV with Rubber tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: @001 MAX IV with Rubber tracks

Angry @001 MAX IV with Rubber tracks

WHY WHY WHY WHY?!!??!!
    My max with factory rubber tracks and track kit w/5'' extenders.Solid axels with support channel connecting all 3 wheels. Tracks have cut an immense groove through the rear of tub on both sides !!! All axel bearings are good no movement in axels at all There is at least 3 1/2'' between tub and track. The only thing comes to mind is when torquing a hard turn the the tires give on the side walls enough to bring the track to close to tub All tires are at 4 1/2 #'s of air and holding on rim just fine. If this is the way it is going to be......anyone want a Max??? Only riding I have been doing is a little plowing around the yard !
    Next question .......can the tub be welded back together and how?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't say what happened but it can be welded using a plastic welder Nd some abs welding rod. It sucks to have to fix it but at least its fixable.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't say what happened but it can be welded using a plastic welder Nd some abs welding rod. It sucks to have to fix it but at least its fixable.
    Any suggestion on where to buy one Drew? Thanks and yah this sucks. wish I knew why so I can stop it from doing it again after I fix tub

hi sorry about your problem could you post some pics of your set up and the damage it may be helpful to help you diagnose the problem

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/memb...f-a-patch.htmli did my using a heat gun, an old plastic fender, and a rivet gun. I have a few pictures of repairs i did on my tub.
    Last edited by CBass; 01-26-2012 at 10:08 PM.

I got my plastic welder off Ebay. Urethane Supply Co Model 5600HT Mini-Weld Model 6 Airless Plastic Welder (0694687001445) | eBay They are easy to use, just make sure you have the correct welding rod, HDPE. The kit comes with only a LDPE rod. HDPE welding rod can be gotten from US Plastics Corp 1/8" HDPE Oval Welding Rod | U.S. Plastic Corp. One pound of welding rod will last a long time. Just make sure that the unit is turned off before plugging and unplugging it or it will burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    but it can be welded using a plastic welder Nd some abs welding rod.
    Hey Hogneck,

Some pictures of the damage to your machine would go a long way to determine the proper way to fix it. Since your Max IV tub is polyethylene, a good start would be to get some scrap HDPE from one source or another, and try to weld the holes/cracks back together with some thing welding rod you make out of the scraps. Let's see the damage first, before we get too far.

We can save it.... I promise.

How do I drop pictures onto a thread?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

THE CUT IS ALL THE WAY THROUGH TUB ON LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE

[IMG][/IMG]

THERE SEAMS TO BE ENOUGH ROOM TO RUN TRACKS.
    Last edited by Mike; 01-26-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts. You can post as many photos as you want in one post.

Man, that's tough....

The only thing I can surmise, is that you're getting a lot (a LOT) of flex out of the side walls on your tires, and that's letting the tracks slide over toward, and grind into the tub when you're either turning, or when one side of each track is on an incline. I've seen something similar on Adair tracks when one side of the track is tweaked over toward the tub. I don't think it rubbed the tub, but it came darn close.

What tires are you running, and at what psi? Outside of repairing at this point, let's figure out how to alleviate the problem. Is a couple-more psi an option, in order to stiffen up the sidewalls? I think that welding up the tub with some home-grown poly rod is an option. If you struggle to find any black poly, I have a butt-load of black poly from an old black Max IV tub I can mail you.

+ Reply to Thread