carburetor help on a fd620

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: carburetor help on a fd620

Quote Originally Posted by SixGunNick View Post
    ... it sounds like a fuel pump problem ...
    If you find this to be true, keep in mind that you can save some money by buying a universal pump from a car parts store.

... is that silver thing screwed into the fuel pump the fuel filter
    Without seeing it...

Yes, should be between the tank and the pump. Just change it out. Do that first. Might fix everything.

... i had changed a second filter ...
    Yep, some folks add an inline filter just ahead of the carb. Not a bad idea.

...i will try to set up a gravity feed to the carb...
    Don't forget to unplug the pump so it doesn't spew fuel all over. But then, maybe changing the filter will get you going.

... a hole in the carb ...
    Jeeeezzzz. Well yeah, that'll do it.

Huh, Wish I had John's help when I had Carb Trouble.
    I ended up buying a new carb, just couldn't figure out what was wrong with the old one. Tried everything I could think of, replaced every part I could, and the damn thing just wouldn't run right.
    Still don't know what was wrong with it, maybe it has a hole in it like SGN had, but maybe sucking air in instead of puking gas out.

Anyway, nice posts John

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Huh, Wish I had John's help when I had Carb Trouble.

<snip>

Anyway, nice posts John

RD
    Agreed! Very detailed, helpful posts. I vote to keep this guy around.

Buying a universal fuel pump from an automotive store???
    Cars with fuel pumps are usually fuel injected and the pump puts out high pressure.
    That's why they use a fuel regulator and return line to the tank. Without a regulator the fuel pressure will push the inlet needle open on any carb and flood the engine. Have I been misled all these years or do they have a pump that doesn't require a fuel regulator now?
    Now I probably shouldn't be commenting on this thread but I can't believe what I'm reading.
    It's very hard to diagnose a fuel problem from miles away and I'm sure everyone wants to help but this is getting ridiculous.
    I don't want to offend anyone and by no means am I an expert at anything related to this post so maybe I will just shut up.
    If you think the pump is bad get a guage and the specs on the pump and check the pressure before you buy a new one.
    And if you had the carb off are you sure the springs and rods are in the right place?
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    Buying a universal fuel pump from an automotive store??? ... Have I been misled all these years or do they have a pump that doesn't require a fuel regulator now? ...
    Don't know if you've been misled but you can get a low pressure fuel pump from an auto parts store.

Here's an example.

Thanks John
    That's the info we should be giving to someone who admits he is not "mechanically inclined".
    If we look back at the original post he obviously had the carb off. That being said I wonder if the springs and rods were assembled properly. I know on most small engines there are multiple holes for the rods and springs and if the governor is hooked up incorrectly it can cause the problem he is experiencing. Now for someone to tell him over the phone that he needs a new fuel pump sounds crazy. I hate to replace parts without confirming the part is not functioning as it should. Diagnostics is not replace with universal parts cause you could end up with more problems than you started with.Lets look at the easy fix before we send him to the parts store for parts that nobody is sure he needs. Does anyone have a diagram of the carb and governor linkage? It could be as simple as moving a spring
    http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...djustment.html
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-03-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Ok Nick is this what you are working on?
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...ice_Manual.pdf
    Page 34 is the fuel pump test
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-03-2012 at 10:29 PM.

I think he's all set.

there was believe it or not a hole in the carb right above the throttle shaft in the aluminum in a corner and that was allowing fuel drain down into the motor i used gas tank sealer(like jb weld)to seal the spot and havent had a problem since

Hope he didn't plug the bowl vent

Ok guys I set up a gravity feed above the c arb after unhooking the fuel pump and it still surges I tried running richer and leaner and still .have the same results I cleaned the whole carb again and still the same deal my jet is either a 110 or a 118 does that sound right its really hard to read even with the magnifying glass so I'm guess maybe my throttle linkage got bent when removing the carb or the anti firing solenoid is acting up?IM also makin a new gasket right now for the manifold, i don't know I'm goin in circles now.I know u guys can only help me so long thanks everyone for your time
    Last edited by SixGunNick; 02-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    99 Argo Conquest.....ERIE icefishing machine

+ Reply to Thread