carburetor help on a fd620

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: carburetor help on a fd620

Solenoid valve test is on pg 32 of the manual
    Main Jet should be 112
    Pg 31 explains how to set the float level.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Nick I have seen many carbs that have been "professionally rebuilt" come to me and the float is not properly set. It seems most rebuilders will set the float to maximize the amount of fuel in the bowl. IMO its better to have the inlet needle close a bit sooner to avoid the possibility of it not seating. Vibration can play havoc on a float that is on the verge of closing and unless your engine needs more fuel than the pump can supply the bowl will stay full at wot. If its full and the needle is not seated it will build pressure in the bowl and the engine gets more fuel than it should.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-04-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    Nick I have seen many carbs that have been "professionally rebuilt" come to me and the float is not properly set. It seems most rebuilders will set the float to maximize the amount of fuel in the bowl. IMO its better to have the inlet needle close a bit sooner to avoid the possibility of it not seating. Vibration can play havoc on a float that is on the verge of closing and unless your engine needs more fuel than the pump can supply the bowl will stay full at wot. If its full and the needle is not seated it will build pressure in the bowl and the engine gets more fuel than it should.
    Ok bazoo if my main is wrong can this be the problem cuz its definetly not a 112? I have noticed some tinkering that the previous owner had done around the carb area and can see that the fuel pump was unhooked and carb screws were mashed and a couple springs were in the wrong spots so what I'm trying to say is that this problem may have been goin on for a while before I had the machine I wouldn't have noticed much cuz I haven't driven it really at all since I bought it in september
    I will chec on the float level setting that's really just somethin I'm scared to mess with.
    99 Argo Conquest.....ERIE icefishing machine

I don't think the jet size will cause the problem you are having. i can tell you I have no experience with elevation tuning but the difference in jet size shouldn't cause it to surge as you describe. Adjusting the float level is very important IMO.
    It's easy if you follow the manual and makes a big difference if not set properly. The thing that worries me is fuel in the oil.
    My neighbors lawn tractor filled the crankcase with fuel and it wouldn't even turn over with the starter.because the inlet needle was stuck open. Prior to that I saw Him cutting his lawn with black smoke coming out the exhaust like a diesel engine. Have you looked at your plugs to see if both cylinders are rich? If only 1 plug is fouled you could have issues with valves or rings on the fouled cylinder. Fuel delivery is important but the engine needs to breath and have good compression. If both plugs are soaked with fuel it's probably the carb.

Ok I am,not getting any fuel in my. Oil anymore the oil is perfect since I fixed the casting defect in side the carb and I dont think I had any engine damage at all cuz I caught it early on and changed the oil about 8 times and made sure all fuel was out of the engine until I found the hole in the carb casting. I will try to check the valve adjustment would I need new valve cover gaskets to perform this task or will they be ok.I would say.My jet is a 110 I picked the machine up about a couple hours away on the P.A. line and when I test drove it drove great so now if I drive it I can barely even turn or push snow at all as soon as I put a load on the motor it surges and I lose power and not just meaning the brakes causing it,it surges throughout throttle applied under load
    Last edited by SixGunNick; 02-04-2012 at 10:05 AM.

I thought it was running good before the carb rebuild.
    Change the jet to 112
    If the gasket is not crushed or torn you can reuse it but they are cheap & easy to replace.
    If the previous owner changed the jet from standard because of his elevation it won't run clean.
    Did you pull the spark plugs?
    When you pull the valve covers check that the pushrods are not bent or off their rocker.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Ok I will change the jet, can I get one from any small engine shop do u think? And I will check the rods it seemed ok before but I seriously have rode it very little before this was happening and this is my first argo! My previous machine was a 72 max 2 stroke 6x6 two completly different animals

I haven't checked the plugs lately,because I haven't really takin it out for a good ride because of the issue I'm having will the plugs tell me the truth so to speak even tho I haven't had it out wide open at all? By the way what r the plug gaps supposed to be at 020? Do u know? That's what I have them at now.Thanks
    Last edited by SixGunNick; 02-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.

If you give the small engine shop the serial # of your engine they should be able to supply the jet. Any #s on the carb.
    Bring the old one with you if it's out or bring the carb. I guess it depends who is working the counter on weekends.

ok thanks Should I also just eliminate my anti fire solenoid do u think

It's not your float.
    It is running lean (if it's a 110) or really rich (if it's a 118) or really really lean (a 108 - the high altitude jet).
    I bet it's a 110.
    Don't run in circles. Some of us have this machine and have been here before.

Be careful with all of the gaskets - they are more expensive than you might imagine. The jet will set you back a bit too. And I had to wait a couple weeks for the jets.

It's not the solenoid. If that fails or (more likely) gets stuck, then it won't run on the main circuit. It will be so lean that if you get it to run at all then it would have to be choked.
    You can just take the solenoid off to see if it runs. I happen to know that someone posted the bolt size if you choose to delete it.

+ Reply to Thread