carburetor help on a fd620

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: carburetor help on a fd620

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    Thanks John
    That's the info we should be giving to someone who admits he is not "mechanically inclined".
    Oh. Well then ignore all of that other stuff I wrote.

Ok I pulled the plugs and they r both white and dry as a bone so I'm runnin to lean then ok next question I need to richen it so I have to get the black plastic piece off of that screw and I'm afraid I'm gonna brake it should I try cut the black plastic off nobody was open to try and get the 112 jet today may have to order it anyway
    99 Argo Conquest.....ERIE icefishing machine

That adjustment, the air screw, is only for the idle circuit. Adjust it like you did earlier when you said the idle was great.
    The surging is a lean condition in the main circuit which is controlled by the main jet. If you are sure that jet was clean then order the 112. There is no other adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by SixGunNick View Post
    Yes the exhaust is coughing soot the choke seems ok
    doesnt sound like its running lean.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF
    It can also surge when rich. This you could probably smell but it will also smoke a bit and cough soot. This could be fuel leakage in the carb; although in this carb I don't know where, unless the float valve doesn't work. Could also be a stuck/broken choke.
    Totally agree with that.
    And now
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF
    The surging is a lean condition in the main circuit which is controlled by the main jet. If you are sure that jet was clean then order the 112. There is no other adjustment.
    Yes install the 112 it's the standard jet for that engine Someone has changed it.
    If your engine is fd620D the valve cover gaskets are here:
    http://tewarehouse.com/7-02498
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-05-2012 at 02:24 AM.

doesnt sound like its running lean.
    There are two circuits in this carburetor. (with a third function that we haven't gotten into yet.) One can be running rich while the other lean.

The air screw adjusts one circuit and the main jet the other.

Yes install the 112 it's the standard jet for that engine Someone has changed it.
    The 112 is a larger jet - to fix a lean condition. It is not necessarily the standard jet shipped as many went out with the 110. Do a search, I posted the jetting chart for the conquests and how they changed over model years.

SixGunNick, your engine doesn't know anything about your elevation, it really runs at something called "density altitude". I am betting that the place you test drove it was perhaps a bit higher, warmer, and dryer - all conspiring to give the engine an effectively higher density altitude. Now that it is (colder, lower, wetter???) it has bumped the bottom of the mixture ratio and won't run. At 500ft, you should have the 112 anyway.

If you think it is running both cylinders then just leave the valve covers alone for now.

Page 28 of the manual states the main jet 112 is standard 0 to 3000 ft.
    Must be a misprint

Page 28 of the manual states the main jet 112 is standard 0 to 3000 ft.
    Must be a misprint
    Depends on the engine version. I gleaned my info from the aggregate documentation. Here, I did the search for you. Yes, 112 is probably the jet for SixGunNick's machine in the conditions he is experiencing. Just like I said oh so many posts ago.

But, 112 is not "the standard jet" delivered in all machines. I venture to guess that 110 is. And no, not a misprint.

ok if the plugs r white and dry it is lean tho right i ordered a 112 jet.I originally had black soot and coughing but i may have been using the choke too much to bring idle down to shift,so now i have the idle low enough to where i can shift easily and am using no choke if the jet dont do it ill take it in to get it fixed,i mean this could be a very easy fix that i am just not inclined enough to know that somethings wrong with it so i dont want to keep you guys on this goose chase i will post when i get the jet in if it helps change anything.I am also ordering new springs and links for the linkages.Also my buddy was over and said that the engine sounds way too smooth to have a rod out but he said the adjustment could be out especially if it was never done so we may tackle that tomorrow.Oh and yes when i bought the machine it was very hot out and now that it is cold here it seems that this issue with surging is more prominent to me.

If you are running with the choke even partially closed it will run rich,
    That's probably why John said to check that the choke is working and open fully.
    I would also test the fuel pump to confirm it is able to supply enough fuel at wot and the lines and filters are clear or it will run lean.
    Make sure the linkage and springs are installed correct and install the 112 jet
    If you decide to take it somewhere to have it fixed tell them the carb was just rebuilt.
    I am curious to hear what they find,

Ok thanks yea today I'm replacing all the fuel line and the rear filter and doing the pump test I hope that the jet doesn't take too long to come in.I just wanna ride I think I may eventually get a brand new pump anyway and carry this one for a spare cuz I primarily bought this machine for lake erie icefishing and u don't want to mess around out 5-8 miles out on the ice.I think I jinxed the ice here this year because we didn't even get a skim coat out there,but the machine was out of comission all ice season anyway

I also noticed I guess there is supposed to be a spring that goes over the actual throttle linkage next to the carb the manual says this must be in place to hold them to each other mine is just the link and its all bent up and looks to be a piece of coat hanger could this be my problem? My link is bent into an arch and kinda has play between the two arms the one in the manual looks sraight,could someone try to look at they're conquest and tell me if they're link is pretty straight or does it have about a 45 degree bend like mine and when I ordered my parts this so called over throttle link spring was unavailable so maybe ill try to put a different spring on it later
    Last edited by SixGunNick; 02-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread