Another MaxIV Problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another MaxIV Problem

Thumbs down Another MaxIV Problem

I am stuck again with a perplexing issue. In one of the rear axels below the output for the T-20 spocket is an idler spocket for chain adjustment which is now a new one.Below that is the driven double sprocket with a single hub on solid spline axel. It will not stay in alignment with Idler and T-20.It is riding inward and popping of course .I take it this is why the bearing in Idler crapped out the first time. I can move it back to home with a big pry bar and 2lb hammer. even after set screw is out I still have to hit hard to drive it over. This wil be the third attempt to keep it where is is supposed to be.I am very tempted to bugger a spot weld on her this time for I am about done with the disappointments. My question is....... If all sprockets and chains are in alignment,..what is causing the hub to travel on shaft ? Stupid little 1/4-20 allen set screw won't hold crap. Should be a 5/16'' or larger .

Any suggestions before I get back at it because it will be stick welded for the weekend ride I have planned. I hope someone has the answers because I don't.

Make sure the axle is not out of alignment. You could remove the set screw and drill into the shaft so the set screw locks on the axle or drill it and use a larger set screw or a roll pin.
    I would think if it is a splined shaft it will be hardened. I don't think welding it is a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo guy View Post
    Make sure the axle is not out of alignment. You could remove the set screw and drill into the shaft so the set screw locks on the axle or drill it and use a larger set screw or a roll pin.
    I would think if it is a splined shaft it will be hardened. I don't think welding it is a good solution.
    I would have to remove motor and T-20 to do any kind of mod like that. Axel is aligned . Bearings are good with no play up or down, in or out. If I could get a drill down in there I would drill a divet in the axel.

Thank you Bazoo .

Cant you remove the axle without pulling the trans?
    And drill it outside the tub then install a cup or cone type set screw.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-01-2012 at 01:15 AM.

i may.I think i will remove set screw and find a grade 8 bolt w/same threads to crank down on first. I would have to remove tracks,wheels ,cages ,bearings,and motor anyway to do what you suggested. Then hope the sprocket comes off the shaft. So a little bugger of a weld to hold in place like a burr should not hurt,cause I can do this without removing anything .if it fails it all comes apart and new sprockets and bearings and maybe shaft will go back in.
    Just don,t feel like the long job right now.I have to many hours in it all ready to get it where it is.I just don't want it to stress T-20 bearing being out of alignment. I could careless about the shaft being welded if it will work,the big IF.
    I dont know really what to do...just hate to rip and tear again. I have gone all through this thing. Just got my sound system in her tonight so I can have tunes in route. I have to break down the tracks and weld the tub up later on this spring so that would be the time to pull shaft out.Tracks cut through tub in the rear on both sides. Live and Learn.

The sprocket should want to stay in alignment....something is pulling it out, maybe a bad idler allignment. You could try 2 split collars to hold it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    The sprocket should want to stay in alignment....something is pulling it out, maybe a bad idler allignment. You could try 2 split collars to hold it in place.

Good idea Buggyman. I will have to see what size the shaft is and get two.Any idea? while I am at work today I could pick some up.Idler is in line good with T20.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    That is my major consern is what is pulling it out. I have thought that the sprocket has been riding out ofalignment for so long and the old idler had enough play it the bearing(LOTS) until it crapped out. Wonder if the chain is tweeked? and sprocket worn in that direction on the teeth?Do you think a tack weld on shaft will hold or not?

+ Reply to Thread