It's alive but takes forever to get top speed from my re-powered MAX II Help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's alive but takes forever to get top speed from my re-powered MAX II Help!

It's alive but takes forever to get top speed from my re-powered MAX II Help!

Ok! So I got my max II back together enough to try it this week and in neutral, it will nicely draw the belt through the entire clutch travel but when in gear, although engine can get to full speed, it will not draw the belt more than half way up in the drive pulley unless I get a long straight run, where it eventually makes it up to full speed. It gets to speed quicker on downhills, with the added momentum. When in neutral and revved, it appears to react very normally. This is an opposed or L-head 18 hp. B&S engine re-power with 94C drive clutch and original equipment driven. The Max is an earlier model that I have not gotten the actual year from RI for, but original voltage regulator Is stamped Aug. 1974 to give some indication of vintage. I am thinking heavier weights in driver but am new to clutches. Anybody here running the 94c in a max II that might know correct weights for this application? Otherwise, I am pleased with my initial run on this 400 JLO replacement. Can't wait to get this corrected and drive it some more. I have missed it. Thanks in advance all. Appreciate the site.

I run II with a briggs and a 94c drive. Clutch # is 206095A 6 Pucks #206514A and pink spring#205859A. Engagement was about 1800 with this weight set. I added 3 more pucks of unknown weight and now have engagement at about 1400 rpm. My MAX is very low geared and the lower engagement lets me crawl around slower. Usually when I get a vehicle that takes a long time to reach any speed the governor set to low. Assuming you are runing a governor I set my briggs and kohler engines with the belt on and full throttle, transmission in reverse, to 4050rpm. good luck

I would suspect belt tension first.....read this: ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco The rubber mounts on the engine can also allow the engine to move closer to the trans when the clutch tightens. There should be a seventh rubber on the LH side of the frame by the chain tensioner that helps to restrict this movement...is that missing?

Well, I have been in meetings all week so no real progress to report. I hope to look at it over the weekend. My belt deflection seems pretty good but I am wondering about motor flex? I should be able to check this pretty easily but need to get a little time to work on it? Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I may hunt a set of pucks either way as the lower engagement appeals to me.

You might want to give MFG Supply a shot. They have a bunch of Comet parts and there are quite a few 6X6World members that deal with them.

Comet Clutches, Cam Arms, Springs & Tools | MFG Supply
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread