no low end power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: no low end power

yeah it seemed to be the drive chains were so loose that it had no power. i cleaned the clutch a few days before and it didnt seem to help but as soon as i tightend the chains it ran great. go figure

clutches misalignment ?
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

removed the engine, tightened the chains, replaced engine.... Imma have to guess that your belt was loose and by tightening up it increased your bottom end. Mainly cuz now your belt is tight, even at low rpms. I wish i could go into detail and explain my theory however i cant. lol i feel to dumb to explain it. lol sorry. when belt is installed, and motor is OFF (important step..lol) you can lay a strait edge ruler or yardstick from drive to driven clutch..ontop of belt. (like where the lettering and brand/make of belt is usually printed..) Push down on the ruler firmly..and then push on the belt in roughly the center-most part of the belt. If you've got more than an inch of slop...ya need to adjust your motor or trans further apart from each other. HOWEVER...check with specs for your machine, it might not be an inch?..might be more or less. hope that kinda helped out?..
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

I don't think the chains would reduce the low end power unless they were so loose that they were skipping over the sprockets.
    You would have heard that tho

now looking back at what i did, i rememberd that on top of the tranny there is to little round bars that go to the linkage i guess you could call it.one on each side. one is from the right stick and one is on the left. the one on the right was bent a little and i straightened it out. wasint a whole lot but it might have been enough to where it wasint going into gear all the way . i didnt think about it before cause it wasint something i was focused on while fixing the chain. it was something that i just did out of ocd i guess you could say or just being anal about things being right. im wondering if that could have been the problem and just seemed like it was the chain cause that was my main focus and reason for taking the motor off. plus i wanted to see what everything looked like under the motor. you cant realy see the tranny unless you take the motor off. so it was deff a learning experiance. im just glad i did whatever it was i did. today will be the true test. me and my buddy jacob 6x6 is going riding and we will see what happend. once again thanks for all the insite and suggestions, what a big help. plus it saved me alot of money doing it myself.lol...

well. took her out yesterday and what a blast. all went well and she worked great

can i shim the motor for more torque.

i want more low end torque in the mud or climbing hills. i want the response to be there like a four wheeler. i want to give it gas and watch the wheels spin when im in the mud. i dont know if im expecting to much or even if this is normal but when climbing a hill it kinda peters out at the top or in the mud it just dosent feel like theres enough power to pull threw it. i checked the clutch and all seems good. i measured the belt and its 1 3/16 in width which its supposed to be from what i read. im just wondering if i shim the motor up if it would make the clutch grab quicker and harder and take care of my problem. i just bought this max iv so it could be normal but my buddies argo bigfoot seems to go anywhere and mine is just a terd. lol.... im tired of watching him go threw mud and im just sitting back cause i know mine wont make it.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-14-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic. Please just reply to your original thread

What are the specs of your machine? Engine and tires?

I would bet that your belt is not as tight as it should be. If it is tight and the clutches are working properly, you might want to look into more HP or a Red spring on the transmissions clutch. There are plenty of threads about the Red spring and the jist of it is to give more low end torque.

Quote Originally Posted by d max View Post
    i want to give it gas and watch the wheels spin when im in the mud. i dont know if im expecting to much or even if this is normal
    Based on an earlier post you're running 21" Goodyear Rawhides on your Max IV, correct? What engine are you running? I'm guessing a Vanguard 16 or18 for the purposes of the discussion.

This isn't normal. Something in your driveline isn't allowing you to transmit the power to the ground at the right time. Have you checked your belt tension? Shimming the motor on a Max IV tightens the belt. You don't want it TOO tight, though. A inch deflection when you press downward ("inward" on a Max IV) is a good start. Have you lubricated your drive and driven clutches? These tend to get gummed up over time, and it seems common that they're overlooked as a maintenance item. Graphite lubricant is a good material to use on both clutches. A thorough inspection of them is a good start.

You could always throw in a red spring, but in all honesty, that's a band-aid fix if something else needs to be fixed. If your clutches aren't shifting correctly, putting a red spring in it won't do a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob 6x6 View Post
    D max you think if you get them tires that maxi pad will follow my argo bigfoot with the vampires lol
    Ummm.... I do! We'll get your clutches working right and get a little more ground clearance under your 'IV and your buddy will be eating his snide words.

+ Reply to Thread