no low end power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: no low end power

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Ummm.... I do! We'll get your clutches working right and get a little more ground clearance under your 'IV and your buddy will be eating his snide words.
    I couldn't agree more! Some good mud tires on your Max and getting the clutching dialed in will make it walk over just about anything, including your buddy's ego.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You may want to install a red spring in your driven clutch. If you have an older unit the spring in the driven CVT will fatigue and shift too early. Also check your governor adjustment as it also may not rev out very quick. Liflod had a post on reworking the governor. Removing the governor and running the throttle direct gives you instant throttle.
    Acta non verba

lol, maxi-pad?!...holy moly....ill take 2 if thats what we're calling them now a days.

Removing the governor and running the throttle direct gives you instant throttle.
    Amen!! lol
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

What happens when you get in the mud?
    Does the engine bog or rev high and go nowhere?
    Do you hear the belt squeeling?

Hey hey I cant help it my argo is so awesome lol I hope he does get the bugs worked out cuz im tired of waiting for him to catch up lol. I do help him work on it alot we will get the bugs worked outat least he pul ls me out when I get stuck

well i have upgraded my tires for now. i borrowed a set from a buddy to see if that would make a diffrence and it did some. im sitting on 26x12x12 for now. i did push on my belt inward and i seen the post where it said that an inch was where you wanted to be. but mine seems to push in a good inch and a half if not more. thats why i was wondering about shimming the motor. i think if i tighten the motor it will deff make a diffrence. me and jacob did shorten the govener spring and it did give me more rpms but still not the power im looking for. i see jacob get in the mud and his tires just spin and they dont stop. mine seems to just peter out. it wants to bogg down. like the rpms just fade out and my tires dont spin. i can follow him in the woods with no problem climbing trees and stuff but under any kind of load it seems like it just dosent want to go. i have a 16hp briggs motor. it runs great. i can put it in netral and it revs out with no problem. in gear it takes off fine turns fine no problems. in the mud or going up hill its a terd. and you just wait jacob.............. ill get it right............

i'd start with the belt first man. it may be beneficial to pick machine up off ground, and spin each side individually, just to see if somethign in driveline is holding ya up. be sure trans is in neutral first. a good inch and a half ya say? or better?..yah..shim it. get your belt tightened up a little bit. another thing to maybe look at is....are you original owner? has the belt ever been replaced? take a look at the driven pulley (on trans) and see if when the motor is not running, or is at an idle, that the clutch is "closed". by this i mean, the belt will be closer to outter edge. the belt should either be flush with its O.D. or maybe even a tad bit outside of the O.D. However, being that you said its rather loose, i'd have to imagine it is..but hey...anything could be possible i suppose!? That 16hp should spin the tires regardless if your in the mudd. keep us posted!

-WagZ-
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

I agree ive got the 16 in my max 2 and it throws rooster tails in a mud hole something is going on with the belt or the clutch I would change the belt and see what happens worst case you got a spare belt and you can cancel that out as the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by d max View Post
    .me and jacob did shorten the govener spring and it did give me more rpms.
    That's what you need before you hit the mud and while you are in it.
    Keep the rpm up high and the wheels should spin
    I agree with the new belt...if that doesn't make a noticeable difference I would look at the clutches

Lay a straight edge on the clutches and press down on the belt with a tape measure. My belt deflects about an inch and works well. You can shim your motor and try different tensions. Leave at least an inch of deflection and try it.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 02-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.

took everyones advice on the max iv low end power problem

i took my belt off and replaced it, i took the clutch off and cleaned it inside with a wire wheel and then lubed it with graphite. i replaced two more sprockets and made sure all my chains were tight. i did not shim the motor yet. it seems to be some what better. i will know for sure by the weekend. me and jacob will be attending mudfest here in florida. ( okeechobe ). i will see how it is and ikeep everyone posted. my clutch seemed to be fine on the inside but it was dirty as hell. i did have another question. the graphite lube i got was a dry dust like substance did i get the right stuff? i was going to use the stuff we use in my shop at goodyear, its what we use on brake calipers to keep the caliper slides lubed up. it has graphite in it as well and it stays lubed up even with brake dust so i thought that would work? what do you guys think. anyway i hope everyone has a good weekend. i know i will..... tons of trucks and quads will be there and lots of beer and boobs. lol cant wait........google mudfest okeechobe fl and see what its all about. would love to see some more 6x6 atv's there. its gonna be a blast
    Last edited by Mike; 02-16-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic. Please just continue to reply to the existing thread. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread